Author Topic: yeast starter  (Read 618 times)

Offline Jivinwilly70

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
yeast starter
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
Is it possible in the software to increase the yeast starter from what Beersmith shows as the amount of yeast cells (from original package)?  I always create a starter by adding dme once or twice to the smack pack, which in turn should increase the amount of cells.  Any ideas?

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: yeast starter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 10:13:19 AM »
Not quite sure that I follow, but it sounds like you are doing a multi-step starter.  If you are working in BeerSmith 3, then the steps for a 2-stage starter are already on the starter tab of your recipe. 

If you are still using BS2, then you can enter in the DME you use for the first starter.  You can then edit the yeast on the starter tab and increase the # of cells  in your package to be equivalent to what you think you achieved with the first starter.  There are also a few external calculators which will allow for multistage starters.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:12:58 AM by Oginme »
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline dtapke

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
I'm also lost.

are you adding DME into a smack pack itself? If anything that would quite likely be harmful to the yeast.

to answer your question "Is it possible in the software to increase the yeast starter from what Beersmith shows as the amount of yeast cells (from original package)?"

you can alter the available yeast cells in a "package" by altering the cell count of the product via the "ingredients" tab. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing this without performing a yeast count, which requires dye, a microscope, and a hemocytometer.
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Dopplebock, NEIPA, Pils
Primary: empty
Secondary/Lagering:
Next Brew: RIS

Offline Yainakorn

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • Awesome web page you have got here.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »
Good comments, good posts, useful