Author Topic: Brut IPA  (Read 2924 times)

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: Brut IPA
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »
Thanks Brewfun for the detailed breakdown.
Dtapke, I am just keeping it simple for us more relaxed brewers.

My take away from all my research was that there was little difference in the overall conversion and simply, more complex sugars are reduced to simpler sugars for the yeast to consume. I believe what really makes a difference is a healthy fermentation with ample yeast count and fermentation conditions. My experience has backed this up though I have only used the two amylase (the link I posted and White Labs). Both finished the same. I've used amylase in both the mash and fermenter as well as just one or the other. I found I prefer the beers with the amylase is added when I pitch yeast. I've used it in about 12 batches now and am smitten with the results.

Offline dtapke

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »
LOL that's kind of my takeaway as well, except i do enjoy learning the "How and Why" behind what happens so i can utilize that a bit better in the future.

I'll add one thing, I pitched a pretty healthy count (1.2m/p/ml) had an incredibly vigorous fermentation, and probably ended with 2X as much yeast slurry than what i normally do for that quantity of beer at that rate. So even though i pitched a more than sufficient quantity of viable yeast, they still split like mad!
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Dopplebock, NEIPA, Pils
Primary: empty
Secondary/Lagering:
Next Brew: RIS

Offline brewfun

• STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
So the predominate benefit to glucoamylase is that its debranching the maltose into 2 glucose units which yeast is far better equipped to handle than maltose.
I think you're assuming something that isn't true. Two glucose joined at the (1-4) bond IS maltose. Yeast breaks that bond to make glucose and move fermentation forward through glycolysis to make pyruvate. Amylase enzymes used in mash or later have nothing to do with this process.

beta amylase and alpha amylase both produce glucose and maltose from various starches and polysaccherides. however the addition of the glucoamylase takes the maltose that was produced by the beta and alpha amylases and breaks them down into 2 glucose units is my understanding. therefore i would think that adding additional beta and alpha would have little effect assuming all of the conversions they can do, were done during the mash?
It depends on your definition of "done." Insofar as the enzymes CAN act while under the pressures of temperature, time and enormous amounts of substrate are concerned, yes, they're "done" when the mash is over.

Alpha Amylase will break the (1-6) bond, creating more straight chain (1-4) bonds, which may or may not get reduced to maltose by Beta Amylase. That's time/temperature dependent. As Alpha Amylase continues, more and more short chain (1-4) glycosides are created, which yeast can break down, but usually don't because easier to ferment sugars go first. Some strains DO ferment those polysaccharides, which we notice as increased attenuation.

In all of this, there is starch and polysaccharide carryover into the fermenter. Alpha and Beta Amylase at fermentation temperatures have a much longer half life, so can break down more of the remaining substrate. Glucoamylase does effectively "do the same thing" but is apparently better at finding substrate to work on, especially in alcohol, and has a longer half life.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

modification