• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Maple Sap

millbl

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this thread is going to be out of place but I'm looking to add maple sap into my recipe on beersmith 3.0. I've brewed a maple porter using only maple sap as my brewing water. the 10 gallons of sap had a gravity of 1.013. How would I add this?

well.. thats an interesting idea i'm going to have to steal....

ideally you'd want to profile the sap and add it as a water, and then add a small quantity of maple syrup to get the "og" you've got. looks like about 3lbs of maple syrup gives an og in 10g pre-boil of 1.013

the main concerns would be lack of calcium and other brewing minerals that are beneficial to yeast/beer.

I would add it to the fermentables as an extract with the potential of 1.013.  Your recipe should then be created and the volume of the extract used to determine the amount you need to add to get the volume of water you need for the recipe.

I have used Maple sap for a seasonal red ale.  In fact I have one in fermenter currently.  The way I approached the sap addition was to first plan out what I wanted my original of the beer to be, then add in all my grains/fermentables minus the sap contribution.  So If you wanted a OG of 1.053, you would in your example have your gains/ferm. total 1.040 (1.053 OG - the 1.013 sap= 1.040).  Then I would add Maple Sap to the Ingredients list in BeerSmith with the 1.013 sg and just keep adding a little at a time until the beers gravity went from 1.040 to 1.053.  This way I had the maple sap included in the ingredients (you know you used all sap so the quantity wasn't as important, or accurate, as the contribution to the gravity of the beer and just having the reminder that sap was used to brew the beer for future use.

This is by no means an ideal way to add sap, but I found it to be easy for a beer I brew only once a year.  By the way, my sap this year had a sg of 1.009.  You have some good stuff.

Back