• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug Report! Mash Step Order

PeeBee

Brewer
Reaction score
This has been moved out of another thread because it is a bit off-topic for that thread.

I could be seen as presumptuous suggesting this is a "bug report", but having found the source of my problem I can now look up dozens of threads reporting the same thing. Perhaps mine will be the last?

I'd devised a work-around so I could automate a "strike temperature" (as calculated by Beersmith) step into a Grainfather (using GF Connect). The Grainfather brewing system has no concept of "strike". Obviously a "strike temperature" step is going to have a hotter step temperature than the following step.

But in Beersmith that is a "no-no". As soon as the program is restarted it reorganises the mash steps into ascending order of "step temperature". This is an unusually draconian action by Beersmith, which generally has a more relaxed and flexible approach to brewing.

Others report the same issue, but have a range of reasons for wanting successive mash steps to reduce in temperature.

The mash steps are currently sorted by temperature, but yes I will open a change to allow them to decrease temperature to put in a future version.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
The mash steps are currently sorted by temperature, but yes I will open a change to allow them to decrease temperature to put in a future version.

Brad
Thanks very much Brad.

Paul

Hi  I am have issues with the same "bug" and wonder when this can be fixed ??
I have tried it both on my MacOS version with Beersmith 3 and on my Linux laptop with Beersmith 3.

I think it wold be best if the mash profile temps stay ordered the way we select to put them in to the profile.?
(like no sorting at all ??)
Perhaps it would be possible to add a selection in the settings to turn on or off the sorting of the mash step in the profiles?
That way the users that want the sorted lists of mash steps can have it, and user without the need can make their own
steps of the temps in the profiles?

Hope this could be sorted out in one of the next updates to BeerSmith :)

My linux laptop is on verison 3.0.9 i do not remember the version i have on my MAC but guess it is 3.0.8

Best Regarss
OleB

I'm with OleBno2000. What purpose does a default sort order on mash steps play? Just keep them in the order we put them. This is especially frustrating for a professional brewery trying to use BS daily.

Back