• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello - New to BeerSmith

Group W

Apprentice
Reaction score
New to BS3 and really like the software so far.  Switched from Brewers Friend.

Thanks for having me.  Cheers!  :)

Welcome!  If I might inquire, what prompted the switch from Brewers Friend?  This is more of a curiosity for me.

Feel free to ask any questions about the software and setting it up.  Plenty of help is available from the members here!

Oginme said:
Welcome!  If I might inquire, what prompted the switch from Brewers Friend?  This is more of a curiosity for me.

Feel free to ask any questions about the software and setting it up.  Plenty of help is available from the members here!
I really like BF as a cloud based tool and still use it.  The difficulty I have with it, and probably any web/cloud based tool is that updates to the software occurr real-time. With changes, all previously stored recipes are impacted. A seemingly minor update can change many relationships. So far, I like the way changes to BS3 are considered, trialed and bata tested off-line and released only when fully tested. One example is the current problem with acid additions.  We have a temporary fix by increasing the percent of lactic from 88% to ~125%. Keep up the good work and try your best not to revise BS3 based on every feature request from the peanut gallery.

BOB357 said:
Welcome! Figured you'd show up here sooner or later :)
Hi Bob.  Probably not going to check in here often.  But is does seem like a good place to ask questions on BS3.

Spending more time on HBT recently. They have a lot of experience there, but the sarcasm/crumudgeon factor is pretty thick.

Group W said:
I really like BF as a cloud based tool and still use it.  The difficulty I have with it, and probably any web/cloud based tool is that updates to the software occurr real-time. With changes, all previously stored recipes are impacted. A seemingly minor update can change many relationships. So far, I like the way changes to BS3 are considered, trialed and bata tested off-line and released only when fully tested. One example is the current problem with acid additions.  We have a temporary fix by increasing the percent of lactic from 88% to ~125%. Keep up the good work and try your best not to revise BS3 based on every feature request from the peanut gallery.

Thanks for your reply.  I am actually just another user here, but interested in the differences.  It has been 5+ years since I looked at other software out there.  BeerSmith's archival feature is sometimes an issue, but the ability for changes not to affect past brewed recipes makes it great for comparison of recent versus past results and performance.

For the pH adjustments in BeerSmith, I have a sticky on the 'all grain/advanced' topics which came from Mark Riffe, the developer of the model that Brad uses in BeerSmith, about the estimation of acids and overestimation of buffering capability of malts.  I had previously adjusted the acid contribution of acidulated malt about 60% to align with my recorded observations of pH impact.  This value corresponds with Mark's comments about the needed adjustment.

Back