• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Still Fundamentally Broken

calebmeinke

Apprentice
Reaction score
Following the release of Beersmith 3, I had a variety of issues where the app was deleting recipes (?could not load recipe - remove listing?? Error) and overriding recipes with other recipes saved to my device (the name of the recipe looks normal in my recipes, but when you open the recipe a different, locally saved recipe appears and the previous recipe can never be retrieved again). Those issues caused me to move on to other apps/resources for recipe formulation and storage.

After months of playing around with other recipe software, yesterday I decided I would return to Beersmith and give the app another try to see if any of these issues had been fixed (I paid for the damn thing, after all). Sure enough, when I copied an old recipe to try a new riff on an old idea both the old and the new version of the recipe fell victim to the ?could not load recipe - remove listing?? Error. Now, I?ve lost both of them because I tried to use the app once. In scrolling through my recipes that have remained stored and unaccessed since I last used the app, I see roughly half of them have been deleted by the error or overridden with other recipes. What I didn?t store as screenshots after the first round of issues with the ?upgraded? app is now lost to the ether.

...and, yes, I have the most updated version, and I?ve tried the ?recovery features?. Neither of those ?recovery features? work. In fact, one of them just ensures any recipe overriden by the app glitch is permananetly overriden with a duplicate copy of the offending recipe.

My question is this - How can a paid app that serves a single purpose (beer recipe formulation and storage) be so fundamentally broken for so long? How do they get away with this? At this point I?m weighing what options I have to address this given my first report of these issues was met with nothing more than ?Try these recovery features? and crickets after I reported back that neither of them worked and one made the issue worse.

How many people continue to experience these issues? Is anyone else pursuing recourse to remedy these issues or get reimbursed for the expense of the app and/or the lost data and information?

I can't speak for others, but I have never had the problem you describe. If it really isn't working for you, ask for your money back.

--GF

What you are encountering sounds strange to me and I, like GF, have not encountered something like what you are describing.  You don't list the operating system you are using and your comment about opening a different 'locally stored' recipe instead of the one you intended sounds like you are trying to open one from the cloud or a non-locally storage of recipes.  Without an understanding of your complete issue, it is hard to comment further.

I have lost folders and files previously and all have been traced to Microsoft updating my computer when BeerSmith is still open and active on my computer.  Microsloth does not allow for the post shutting down of the main program to allow the subsequent updating of archives to take place before it forces a shutdown to update and fix their own bugs.  Everytime this has occurred, I have been able restore the lost files using the restore archive procedure within BeerSmith.

This is not some sort of user error... Brad Smith replied to my first thread on this issue months ago and acknowledged he is aware of these problems. He thought he fixed them with his addition of the ?recovery? features in the app, but neither of them work.

I had another instance of one of these issues tonight. When in ?My Recipes? I clicked on my ESB recipe stored in one of my folders. When it opened, my pale ale recipe, which is stored in a completely different folder, appeared. The only aspect of the original recipe that is retained when this happens is the SRM pint glass of the original recipe. Otherwise, everything in the recipe, top to bottom, is replaced with the information from the overriding recipe... grain, hops, yeast, mash information, fermentation information... everything.

The other issue is exactly as I describe it. I click a recipe in ?my recipes? and it populates a screen that says ?cannot find recipe - remove listing?? accompanied by an ?ok? button (that permanently deletes the entry) and a ?cancel? button.

I included photos with this post. Take a look. If you create a recipe with the grains from the incorrect pale ale recipe that appears when I click my Strong Bitter recipe, you will see the SRM pint glass is nothing near what my image shows. That little pint glass is the only thing from the original recipe that is retained. Everything else is overridden by the duplicate recipe populated by the glitch.

At this pace, all of my files will be corrupted by one of these issues in little more than a few months. I?m running iPhone IOS 12.1.4 and using the app downloaded from the App Store (mobile version 3.0.7). Brad Smith knows these errors are an issue, but nothing is being done to rectify the situation.

Bummer, I use the app on my iphone xs with no issues. Even bounce recipes back and forth using the cloud.

hope it ends up working out for you!

P.S. Maybe you should've posted this in the "mobile" section of the forum... just a thought.

I agree that BeerSmith 3 is still fundamentally broken. Check out the thread "You may have another copy running". This is another problem that deletes stored recipes. BeerSmith have been aware of this problem since at least October 2018 and it still hasn't been resolved. Blaming it on Windows 10 updates is just passing the buck. If you can't trust your brewing software to keep your records safe then that is a deal breaker IMO. I have exported everything from BeerSmith3 and imported into BeerSmith2 and will go back to using BeerSmith2 until I see some sort of indication that these issues have been fixed.

Oginme, where is the restore archive procedure? (Everytime this has occurred, I have been able restore the lost files using the restore archive procedure within BeerSmith.)

I've lost a recipe I was working on due to a windows update.

Thanks,

Back