• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpooling and Chilling

Ushman92

Apprentice
Reaction score
Im brewing a NEIPA here coming up, and I was going to a whirlpool addition. As I have never done a whirlpool addition, I have a few questions.

1. I have read that a whirlpool addition to start right at flame out. Is that correct?
2. After I do the whirlpool addition I have a stir paddle that I will get going then let it stand for 10 minutes. BEFORE I start my chilling, this poses a question. This obviously slows down the cooling process by about 15 minutes. Should I have my immersion chiller in while the whirlpool? Or should I just not worry about it and start chilling after 10-15 minutes.

To avoid bitterness and only get flavor and aroma, a NEIPA is usually whirl pooled around 170?/77c or a little below that. So cool your wort to that range and then add your hops and whirl pool for 15 to 20 minutes.

Yep, what kevin said. I usually do a 30 min whirlpool at 175F.

as far as the immersion chiller goes, I used to throw mine in during that last minute of the boil after stripping any oxidation (copper?) off in a tub of vinegar.

so, last 5 minutes of boil, add cleaned chiller
flame out,
chill to 175 or so,
add hops,
maintain temp if you desire,
chill to pitch temp.

I use a plate, but my process is the same basically, recirc through my chiller during last 5 minutes to sanitize, cool to 175, set heat to hold 175, add hops, whirlpool hops for time, chill to pitch.

after final chill i let mine settle for 5 minutes or so before pitching to help drop out any sediment which is minimal since i use a hop spider

Back