• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlfloc Tablets

Whirlflock is so cheep, I use it. Ideally it should clear up proteins in your beer, but as far as how effectively it works I have never done a side by side. Also depending on the style of beer, if you are brewing a NEIPA for example, I would think you would not want to use Whirlfloc.

rarely use it, don't really have any problems with haze on beers i want clear.

if i want a super clear beer i'll fine with gelatin or filter.

I find the biggest plus when using Whirlfloc is that it really helps the break material and hop debris drop out after chilling. This makes it much easier to limit the amount of solids transferred to the fermenter. As for haze in the final product, there are several things needed to reduce or eliminate that. Whirlfloc on its own won't do it.

BOB357 said:
I find the biggest plus when using Whirlfloc is that it really helps the break material and hop debris drop out after chilling. This makes it much easier to limit the amount of solids transferred to the fermenter. As for haze in the final product, there are several things needed to reduce or eliminate that. Whirlfloc on its own won't do it.

Agreed. Some worry about eliminated unwanted haze/proteins but the haze for styles such as weizen or NE IPA's come from yeast and/or dry hop additions mostly.

IMO.

Back