• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mead versus Champaign bottles

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I do not have kegs or any way to force carbonate my mead.
I want a mead with a skosh of carbonation -- think Champaign.
I have a bunch of Champaign style bottles that can be sealed with a beer bottle cap and they appear very sturdy and strong.  They are 750 mL and sold for Champaign bottling.

Assume I let my mead ferment to dry - .996 or thereabouts.

If I add some potassium Metabisulphite but do not add Super-Kleer (chitosan & kieselsol) prior to bottling I think that I will have some semi-active yeast in the must that can interact with priming sugar.  Is my thinking correct?

Assume that the above is true, how much sugar would I add to so that I get reasonable carbonation but do not break the bottles?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. 

Champagne (the drink, not the City in IL "Champaign") is Carbed to around 5 volumes of CO2 which is very high carbonation, for comparison most beers are carbonated to around 2.5 volumes of co2.

this high carbonation provides the effervescent effect you're looking for. Just use the carbonation calculator in BS3 to determine sugar content needed to hit the volumes of co2 you want.

If you're bottle conditioning, you could also use carbonation drops and put in a different quantity of drops in each bottle to test out different carbonation levels.

I believe that Champagne bottles (or belgians) with caps generally do not hold as high of pressure as a champagne bottle that is properly corked and caged.

I would read the first few pages of the BJCP mead guidelines for a guide on their thoughts of mead carbonation.

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Mead.pdf

Back