• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Manually Adjusting Sparge Water Volume BS3

markn413

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to simply adjust the amount of sparge water on a recipe? I have several recipes that I'm perfectly happy with but BS3 will not let me enter the value I'd like to use into the cell. I understand that it makes an assumption based on equipment, mash rate etc but is there any way to just put in a sparge volume that you know works for you? Between this and the astronomically inaccurate lactic acid numbers it's telling me to use in some recipes I'm really questioning why I purchased this software. Not of much use when I need to use Bru'n water on every recipe for salt/acid additions to be accurate. Anyway, thanks and cheers!

If you have your equipment profile set up correctly, the program will give you an accurate volume for mash and sparge water.  Then it comes down to your ability to accurately measure those volumes.

I halve the lactic acid addition and am usually spot on, as far as water, i just use the water profile tool to make the water adjustments to the sparge volume i use (generally 20g) and sparge until i get my pre-boil volume.

I think if your only issues with BS is that you can't make the sparge water whatever you want it, and that the lactic acid addition is a touch off, then its pretty useful software regardless.

In other words, if you only purchased BS to calculate your sparge water and acid adjustments, i think you maybe need to rethink that...

Its incredibly accurate for every recipe i've built, and does a superb job of tracking efficiency, fermentation, and many other things.

You must have an accurate equipment profile if you expect to get accurate results from the software. Even if the system you use can be found in the list of profiles it is highly recommended that you customize that profile to meet your actual volumes.

https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

The Brulosophy channel also has a tutorial on mash profiles. It wouldn't be a bad idea to watch that and set yourself up some custom mash profiles while you are at it.

Back