Author Topic: EISBOCK  (Read 866 times)

Offline BILLY BREW

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • GOOD BEER GOOD FRIENDS GOOD TIMES
EISBOCK
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »
Thinking of making a 7 gallon batch of Dopplebock and saving 2 gallons to try my hand at an eisbock.
My recipe estimates 11% on the dopplebock.
From what I read, the trick is to deep freeze the batch and pour out the liquid that remains. Is that pretty much the whole of it?
Any advice? Planning on using 2- 1 gallon plastic jugs for the freezing.
Grand dad? Can I have a ride on your motorcycle and then help you brew? Come on!?! Are there any sweeter words?

Offline merfizle

Re: EISBOCK
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:43 AM »
I'd use buckets with a large enough opening. Instead of pouring out the beer, remove the ice and transfer the remaining beer to a keg or bottle it.

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »
Thinking of making a 7 gallon batch of Dopplebock and saving 2 gallons to try my hand at an eisbock.
My recipe estimates 11% on the dopplebock.
From what I read, the trick is to deep freeze the batch and pour out the liquid that remains. Is that pretty much the whole of it?
Any advice? Planning on using 2- 1 gallon plastic jugs for the freezing.

I use 2 liter bottles for Apple Jack which is the same process and works well. It does take time for the alcohol to drain out. I figure when I get about 1/3 of the volume I started with I'm done. I drain into regular mouth mason jars.
Bob

Offline brewfun

• STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:23:21 AM »

When water freezes, it tends to exclude other molecules. So, you want the liquid that remains. It's a form of distillation.

However, it does take some time for all of the remaining beer to drain from a solid block, so the trick is not to freeze it too hard.

One of the most sublime beers I've had was a triple distilled eisbock. That was two decades ago. Really fine beer leaves an impression far longer than its immediate effects.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline BILLY BREW

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice. See, that's why I love you guys, nothing I can throw out there that someone hasn't tried. You just can't get this anywhere else!!!!
I.m thinking, if this works, of building a stand and bucket specifically for this style. Would put the drain valve on the bottom, to allow gravity to pull the max liquid out. I'll keep you posted. Going to brew the dopplebock today. So begins the process
Grand dad? Can I have a ride on your motorcycle and then help you brew? Come on!?! Are there any sweeter words?

Offline BILLY BREW

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:31:07 AM »
Base dopplebock took off like a rocket! spooge all over the ceiling, walls and floor! Should make some great base for the eisbock. initial estimates are at 10.2%

Online dtapke

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
So you're not fermenting as a Lager then? interesting, what yeast are you using?
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Cassia Stout, Dopplebock,Cream ale,
Primary: Brut IPA
Next Brew: Brut V2

Offline BILLY BREW

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
Yes, I am doing it lager. Using yeast cake from previous lager (Wyeast American Lager). Started it warm and it really worked. Running it down now to 60 degrees for 5 days then will put it in the garage at 45 degrees for a week or so.

Online dtapke

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
Yikes! I pitch 1.75-2M/ml/p on my lagers (just did a dopplebock at 9.8%) and i've never had an explosive fermentation from a lager strain.

That said i always pitch at about 55F as anything above 55-60 and i usually get a lot of off flavors/esters/phenols etc.

my primary takes 1 week to 10 days usually with a relatively even downward curve.
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Cassia Stout, Dopplebock,Cream ale,
Primary: Brut IPA
Next Brew: Brut V2

Offline BILLY BREW

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:52:04 AM »
Got my Eisbock. Temps outside in the single digits, so I filled a gallon jug and buried it in the snow. 24 hours later and there was a solid chunk of ice above the liquid. As luck would have it the ice was below the top of the hollow handle, and the liquid was below it! came out perfectly.What was left looked like a frozen root beer popsicle. Got 5 bottles out of it for trial.
If this works, I have a new plan for winters from now on!!!!
Thanks for all the advice gents.