• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Salt Additions

pdavid

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a questions about water salt additions: I have entered my water profile and the profile I want to match. Under the water tab Beersmith shows me the salts I need to add and has added them into the recipe.

My question is in the Brew Steps report. It shows my full volume of water being treated with the "Mash Salts" as show in the screen snippet attached. It then shows my "Sparge Salts" in the Mash section.

My question is this: Do I need to treat the full volume of water with the Mash Salts? Or just the water I am going to mash with? Due to losses, I cannot collect the entire volume of water needed in my HLT.

Dave

Attachments

• Water.rtf
    706.4 KB · Views: 192
No, you don't treat the full volume. Or at least I don't. Look down the brew step page till you get to the mash in section. There you'll find your mash water volume. That's the water volume you treat with salts labeled "mash". A little further down and you'll find sparge water which is what you'll treat with ... sparge salts!

Note: Any top off kettle water I consider part of the sparge volume and treat them together.

Edit: You can also see your mash/sparge volume break down on the water page, if I remember correctly.

I had the exact same question. I think the Brew steps report is a bit confusing and should be changed.

Back