• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[Fermentable Profile] Muntons "Malted" Wheat Flakes and Malted Crush Oats

mr.hopman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My apologies in advance if I posted this on a wrong topic.

Just wanted to seek help if anyone used Muntons "Malted" Flaked Wheat (not the Flaked Wheat) and has its ingredient (fermentable) profile that you can share.

Here's what I got from their specs.

Colour loB 515ml mash: 25-55 (EBC units)
Colour EBC mash: 28-62 (EBC units)
Colour ASBC mash: 11-24 (Lovibond units)
Approx extract L: n/a
Approx extract EBC%: n/a

So far I need the following info:

Color: (I initially placed 13SRM)..Details below are questionable..I just referred it to Flaked Wheat (which is available initially in beersmith)

Yield/Sugar Content:
Potential: 1.035SG ??
Yield: 77% ??
Coarse Fine Difference: 1.50% ??

Properties:
Moisture: 9% ??
Diastic Power: 0 Lintner
Protein: 16% ??

I have run into similar situations before with new ingredients being poorly defined by the information made available.  I have had good luck in most cases by writing directly to the manufacturer and the distributor asking for either a lot analysis (if you have lot number) or a manufacturing specification sheet.  If you add that you are interested in using their product but will not/can not without specific properties, they usually respond.

Sent them an email too and stated that currently using it. Hopefully they'll reply. Then I could share it in this forum.

Cheers,
Mr.Hopman

Here's what they sent me.

Though I'm still having a hard time translating this to beersmith profile. hehe. Still Learning!!!

Additional analysis for the Crushed Oat Malt is:

Colour
IoB 515ml mash                3.0 to 7.0 EBC units
EBC mash                            3.8 to 9 EBC units
ASBC mash                          1.9 to 3.8 Lovibond units

Extract
L?/kg (dwt) IoB                  230
EBC %                                60

Attachments

• Crushed Oat Malt - 25kg PPS (85421) - Issue 1 - 06.06.2017.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Malted Wheat Flakes (std) - Issue 10 - 13.03.2018.pdf
    108.5 KB · Views: 206
mr.hopman said:
Colour

This is just the color you expect. BeerSmith calculates either the EBC method or the ASBC method. I don't think it supports the IoB method.

Extract
L/kg (dwt) IoB                  230

The L/kg weight is the easiest to convert to Specific gravity. The number is telling you how many liters you'get at one gravity point from the grain. In this case, you'd get 230 liters, or alternatively, you'd get one liter at 230 gravity points.  Since we base the percentage yield on sucrose, which happens to be 384 L/kg, we just do the division.

Malted Flaked Wheat: 230 L/kg
Sucrose 384 L/kg

230/384 = 0.5989 = 59.89% yield.

That'll convert to about 1.028 SG when you put the percentage into the grain profile.

brewfun said:
mr.hopman said:
Colour

This is just the color you expect. BeerSmith calculates either the EBC method or the ASBC method. I don't think it supports the IoB method.

Extract
L/kg (dwt) IoB                  230

The L/kg weight is the easiest to convert to Specific gravity. The number is telling you how many liters you'get at one gravity point from the grain. In this case, you'd get 230 liters, or alternatively, you'd get one liter at 230 gravity points.  Since we base the percentage yield on sucrose, which happens to be 384 L/kg, we just do the division.

Malted Flaked Wheat: 230 L/kg
Sucrose 384 L/kg

230/384 = 0.5989 = 59.89% yield.

That'll convert to about 1.028 SG when you put the percentage into the grain profile.

wow..thanks a lot..just learned new today. Would the properties of the fermentable matters? Seems the document of crushed oats and likely the malted flakes doesn't have one .

mr.hopman said:
wow..thanks a lot..just learned new today. Would the properties of the fermentable matters? Seems the document of crushed oats and likely the malted flakes doesn't have one .

We measure the amount of stuff that can be dissolved into water. The fermentability is determined in the mash. The amount of starch that is converted to sugar is assumed to be 100%, but we know it actually isn't. What remains after fermentation is a complex of unfermentable sugars and proteins.

Back