• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Show Innoculation Rate Value and support at least 3 starter stages.

rbkdata

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I would like to keep my inoculation rate of yeast within the 25 to 100 yeast cells / ml.  Providing a field that showed that calculated this value for me would be helpful when adjusting my starter volumes.  (I adjust them upward to generate 100B additional cells for the yeast bank.)

All for at least 3 (preferably 4) Yeast starter stages.

I share your desire for more starter stages.

The yeast count has several parts to it that change the cell count and the viability. When you choose a yeast, BeerSmith assumes a cell count based on the manufacturer's reported cell count. You can change this by double clicking the yeast and putting your number into the cell count field.

Keep in mind that BeerSmith goes with the guideline of 96% being the maximum viability of any yeast. As you change the package date, you'll see the viability reduce.

AGREED! this is a major flaw in the program i feel, I'm also often starting from a slant or other banked yeast (banking in 50ml tubes with glycerin), so it makes it even more difficult to get accurate numbers, I usually use https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

as it allows for 3 starter steps. You can alter the numbers to make it work in BS but shouldn't have to. I'll run a starter then use the numbers after a starter to make another "new" starter.

then again, maybe i just need to have a microbiologist on hand :p

The calculator in BeerSmith 3 is much better than that in version 2, but I agree that it could be better. Take a look at the calculator found at: http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php (thanks to Oginme for pointing me there). That calculator can do up to 4 stages and includes inoculation rate. I took the information there, and from the references cited there, and made my own Excel spreadsheet that does everything I want and can do up to 3 stages. I have attached it here in case anyone wants to use it.

--GF

Attachments

• Yeast growth calculator.xlsx
    14.8 KB · Views: 183
Back