• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter - dry yeast

hmo11

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi

I think it's a setback, that it's no longer possible to make at yeast starter when I use dry yeast and add it to the bottling volume  :(
I allways make a starter to be sure that the yeast is ok.

See my response and work around for making a starter with dry yeast at http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,19293.msg70253.html#msg70253

To add to the linked post, I have been playing around with the dry yeast starters and find that I have shorter lag times if I rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching it into a starter.

I boil .25 liter+/_ in a 1 liter flask and use the remainder of the required water in a larger flask to make the starter wort. I cool the starter wort to room temperature and then cool the rehydrating water and rehydrate the yeast as per manufacturer's instructions. I then pitch the resulting slurry into the starter wort and spin it up on the stir plate.

Back