• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil volume

bargoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Winter is coming so I can't do a all-grain boil outside. I want to do a extract or partial mash brew on my electric stove.
When I look at BS3 it indicates a full volume boil which is about 6.5 gal for a 5 gal batch.
When I look at kits or some other recipes it uses 2-3 gal boils and tops up with water in the fermenter. I can't do 6.5 gal on the stove top.
How do I get BS3 to indicate a lower boil volume?

Thanks for any pointers.

You can tell BS that you are adding top-up water to the fermenter. In your equipment profile it is in the "Post Boil and Top Up" section, labelled "Top Up Water". In your recipe it is on the Vols tab, in the section "Fermentation/Bottling" called "Top Up Water".

--GF

To add to the heads on advice from GF, you should have a personalized equipment profile which matches your outdoor equipment and process.  You just need to create one for indoors which incorporates the recommendations GF gave above.

I have several (maybe too many) equipment profiles which cover my 3-liter equipment for indoors and quick brews up to my 22-liter set up for outside.  Using BeerSmith's 'scale recipe' tool, I can change the recipe I am looking to brew to fit any of my five brewing systems.

Back