Author Topic: CBD infused beer  (Read 189 times)

Offline ochiburi

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
CBD infused beer
« on: November 05, 2018, 01:38:41 AM »
I plan to make a CBD infused beer using dried cannabis sativa flowers certified 16% CBD and <.2% THC. The goal is 25mg of CBD per 33ml bottle. I thought to use the flowers in the whirlpool like a hop (since they are genetically cousins). Does anyone have any advice on this?

I assume dosing is a straight calculation based on volume. eg. Post boil volume / bottle volume * desired dose in mg. Any advice here also welcome.

Cheers.

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: CBD infused beer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:39:13 AM »
No direct advice, but your idea of adding at the whirlpool is a good one.  Unless you have some way of testing the extracted oils, however, it will be difficult to determine how effective the wort will be at extracting the CBD oils from the flowers.  Since the most common methods involve a solvent, CO2, or oil extraction, there is not much to draw the CBD from the flowers into the wort through solubilization.

Most likely you will just need to apply some trial and error.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline ochiburi

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 08:26:12 AM »
Other advice I have received suggests a very short whirlpool - around 10-15 mins only. Also there has been advice to put some in primary fermentation after the first two days.

No idea on extract rates, but since this is a professional batch I will probably have a sample tested after chill to get some accurate data on WP extraction and after fermentation to get data on the fermentation additions.

Offline dtapke

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »
I'm unsure of the ability of wort to extract the correct compounds for proper bioavailability, I have a friend in R&D that consults for several companies I'll see if he can provide me with info.

as far as doing something like this on a homebrew-small commercial level, I would probably add a water soluble full spectrum extract such as this when kegging: https://cbdamericanshaman.com/water-soluble-full-spectrum-hemp-oil

30g eHERMS

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
Other advice I have received suggests a very short whirlpool - around 10-15 mins only. Also there has been advice to put some in primary fermentation after the first two days.

No idea on extract rates, but since this is a professional batch I will probably have a sample tested after chill to get some accurate data on WP extraction and after fermentation to get data on the fermentation additions.

Let us know what the results are.  As Terpenes are soluble in ethanol, the fermenter would be the logical place to try.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

modification