Author Topic: You may have another copy running  (Read 992 times)

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: You may have another copy running
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
Let me shed some light on this.  After you close BeerSmith, it continues to operate archival features in the background for a short period of time.  Shutting down the computer, forced restarts, or low power shutdowns disrupt this operation.  When you go to restart BeerSmith, it reads that the archives are still being updated or that some of the archives are missing and assumes that the program is still operating.  This is what gives you the error message.  You can force open it and may find that as some of the archives are missing, you have lost some of the files or folders (usually recipe related).  Brad has put up a blog on how to recover the missing archives and commented on another thread that he is looking into how to protect the files from this issue occurring. 

I don't know if this is the exact same for Macs as it is for Windoze computers.  I used to keep a running copy of BeerSmith open to quickly look up commands and procedures to answer questions here on this forum and others, but now shut it down when not in active use.  I have not had an issue since adopting this practice.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
Oginme, who I consider to be "The BeerSmith Guru", posted in the past that when he has this problem it appears to be related to Windows updates shutting down the computer without properly closing the program. This makes sense to me because, when I had the problem occur, I had some serious performance issues which have since been resolved.

Only I am running BeerSmith 3 on a Mac and not Windows, so in this situation it does not make sense.

I see that, but I was responding to the OP.
Bob

Offline Grummore

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
I use macOS HS (High Sierra) 10.13.6.

I've had BS3 since the beginning and all the sudden today I got this error. Strange...

Within 5 minutes, after receiving the previous error, I got a new one (which I will post in another thread not to mess up this one).

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,20560.0.html

modification