• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Back to Brewing

jgaepi

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm planning to return to brewing after a 5 year hiatus. My goal is to do 2.5g batches. I think 5g batches burnt me out. I bought a small Anvil kettle and a SS ferment bucket. The issue is finding recipes for half batches. If anyone has a lead, I'd appreciate it. And, most importantly, water chemistry confused the hell out of me before and I don't remember any of it now. How do ppm translate into 1/2tsp, etc? So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, my first take, if anyone is interested in giving me advice is that I'm going to make Austin Brewing's Cold Smoke AG. I batch sparge so I remember to add 5% more to my grain bill. But, I really need a water chemistry refresher. http://austinhomebrew.com/assets/images/RCPPDF/01503.pdf I only use RO water. My total starting water is 5.3g. With a grain bill of about 8lb. "Teach a man to fish." :)

Thank you regardless.

Jon

More common brewing salts  grams/teaspoon:
Calcium Sulfate 4.0
Calcium Chloride 3.4
Magnesium Sulfate 4.5
Sodium Bicarbonate 4.4

If you download recipes from Beersmith you can use the Scale Recipe tool to downsize them. Once the tool is opened just select your equipment profile from the dropdown and check the box for matching original gravity, bitterness and color.

Thank you but are you saying: Calcium Sulfate 4 grams equal one teaspoon? And 3.4 grams of Calcium Chloride equals one teaspoon? Or that I want 4 grams of Calcium Sulfate for the recipe I included in my post?

Honestly, water chemistry confuses the heck out of me.

Thanks.

Just like it reads, these numbers are grams per teaspoon. There are many water calculators on line as well as a good one in Beersmith 3.

Back