• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Advice - BAIB

IronFlaask

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am pretty new to BAIB and very new to beersmith (if i have posted this in the worng place, sorry) and i was hoping you guys would have a look over my recipe for a Hoegaarden clone and see if it looks reasonable.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hoegaarden
Brewer: Rich
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.74 L
Post Boil Volume: 23.85 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L 
Bottling Volume: 19.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                            Type          #          %/IBU        Volume       
2.25 kg          Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC)                    Grain        1          47.9 %        1.47 L       
2.00 kg          Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC)                          Grain        2          42.6 %        1.30 L       
0.45 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                          Grain        3          9.6 %        0.29 L       
28.35 g          Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop          4          11.6 IBUs    -           
28.30 g          Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min                    Hop          5          3.3 IBUs      -           
1.00 oz          Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)                  Spice        6          -            -           
1.00 oz          Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)              Spice        7          -            -           
1.0 pkg          Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) [124.21 ml]  Yeast        8          -            -           

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.70 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Saccharification  Add 28.61 L of water at 69.5 C          65.5 C        60 min       
Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min              75.6 C        10 min       

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using a 32lt pan and the total volume is 28l and i am a bit worried about the total with the grains added.

If anyone has any advise it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

You can check if the volume of water plus grains will be too much for your kettle on the mash tab.  In the middle column under the design box for mash steps is a calculated value for "Mash Volume Needed" with a number and a dot next to that number.  If your total volume will exceed the volume of your pot as per your equipment profile, that dot will turn red.

Back