• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Open Primary Fermentation versus Closed Fermentation

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am seeking advice/opinions on an 'open' primary ferment pail versus a 'closed with airlock' primary ferment pail for mead.

Steve Piatz in his "Complete Guide to Making Mead" advises an open fermentation pail with a loose cover and stirring vigorously three times per day during the primary fermentation process. 

Ken Schramm in his "The Compleat Meadmaker" advises a closed fermentation pail with an air lock and does not focus on stirring vigorously on a daily basis.

My personal experience is that use of the SNA protocols causes lots of vigorous must activity in the fermentation pail, especially when stirred. For a six gallon batch of mead I use a 16 gallon food grade primary fermentation pail with a loose fitting lid.  During the initial stirring I have observed the must raising three to four inches based on the foaming activity.  How this excess gas would be released without stirring is a puzzle to me.

So the question in my mind is -- open or closed primary fermentation pail.

Opinions and new knowledge are sought on this topic. 

I use a large plastic pail but I do keep the cover on it when I'm not working on it, just to avoid the off chance of infection.  When I need to degas or push down the fruits I will remove the cover, work on the mead and then close it back again.

Brad

Back