• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith mobile question?

Allekornbrauer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a question about  beersmith mobile fly sparging amounts see here a picture of what I am talking about https://imgur.com/gallery/LALbLUf see here in the picture it show that I would be fly sparging with 10.53qts now isn?t that small amount to be sparging with. An also another question in setting up my equipment profile in beersmith mobile what is a good middle of the road boil-off rate to use I know there a lot of thing?s that go into figure out your own boil-off rate?

Since this is not really a question about the mobile version of BeerSmith and one about equipment profile, I will take a stab at this.

Your fly sparge amount is low mostly because you have quite a bit of water going in at your mash out stage.  There is certainly nothing wrong with this. 

When I have seen other brewers perform a fly sparge, they usually prep more water than needed and then watch their volume in the kettle, shutting the sparge water off when they get near their target and letting the kettle drain a bit to get the rest.

As to your boil off question, boil off rate is a function of heat input and kettle geometry.  Given this, everyone's boil off will be different.  If you have not measured this before, you can get a good fix on it by putting enough water in your kettle to represent your wort and heating it up to boil.  Take a volume measurement just before it starts boiling and then one at around 15 minutes.  Multiply the difference by 4 and you have a fair approximation of boil off rate.  You can fine tune this later with numbers from your next brew session.

Alternatively, most people get somewhere around 1 gallon/hr of boil off.  You can set up your equipment profile using this and then measure beginning and ending volumes of your wort to correct the value in the equipment profile for the next brew.

Back