• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Old Topic - Keg Foaming Out of Control

catsofaz1

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello Forum Members - I apologize for bringing up a tired thread.
I am at the end of my rope regarding excessive foaming at the tap. Here is my scenario:

Beer Type: Saison Dupont
Qty: 5 Gal.
Final Gravity: 1.002
Kegerator Temp: 40F
Serving line diameter: 3/16
Serving line length: ~ 10ft.
Per BeerSmith, at my elevation 2.2 vols is necessary (12.54 psi).
** Images attached showing my current setup. Note thermometer was just placed in kegerator and doesn't reflect the correct temp.

I force carbed at 30psi, rocking on side for a few minutes. Relieved pressure from keg then set at 12.5psi for 1.5 weeks.
Every pour is all foam no matter how long I continue the pour.
In the image of the pressure gauge, you will see the pressure tends to creep up on it's own after sitting (excess pressure coming out of solution?)

Ideal serving pressure is determined by adding the resistance of your beer line with the resistance of gravity. The dispense pressure should equal the resistance 1:1.

Gravity is calculated as (1/2 the height (in feet) of the keg + the distance between the coupler and the faucet (in feet)) x 0.5. For ease of explanation, lets say: (1 + 2) x 0.5 = gravity of 1.5 lb.

3/16 id vinyl tubing has 2.2 lbs of resistance per foot. You have 10' for 22 lbs of line resistance.

Total resistance is 22 + 1.5 = 23.5 lbs of pressure required to move the beer.

You are applying about half of that, which probably works with lower carbonation beer styles. Since your gauge is showing a rise, that means CO2 is coming out of suspension so that the beer maintains equilibrium between the beer and the headspace. The same thing is happening in your beer line where the total resistance is equal to the dispense pressure (about 5' in).

When the line resistance is higher than the desired CO2 head pressure, blended gas is needed to make up the difference in dispense pressure. Otherwise, the beer absorbs the additional CO2 from the headspace until it gets to equilibrium. In time, good pours can suddenly get over carbonated.

Even simpler is shortening the line length a bit. Unless you're making a lot of very spritzy Saisons or sparkling ale, you can probably cut a couple of feet off the beer line. I would shorten it a foot at a time. You'll probably find a balanced pour at 6'.

I always say do away with all the pressure up and down, rocking the keg procedures. Just set your regulator to serving pressure and let it sit for 7 to 10 days. You are letting it sit that long already so the other steps are necessary.

Back