• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Organizing sessions/recipes in BeerSmith as I experiment.

chasjs

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to BeerSmith and as I am using it in my brew sessions I am really appreciating its value and utility.  I am doing all grain using BIAB.  I am struggling with how to organize my recipes in BeerSmith as I tweak them and I know I must be missing something in the softwre.

It appears to me that each recipe has a one to one relationship with sessions in the software.  But it seems conditions always vary so it may have some value to be able to save each session of the recipe separately. 

The method I have come up with is to create a folder with the year and then save a version of the recipe in that folder with the brew date. 

But I think it would be good to be able to link all the sessions (or at least the notes) so you can quickly find your results.

I know I am probably overthinking the situation but wanted to find out what others have done.

Thanks

Put a number after the recipe name in the Name box. This will keep all of the iterations together and in the order you numbered them.

Another way to track brew sessions of a recipe is to use the 'brew log' function in BeerSmith.  Click on the recipe you want to brew and then click on 'copy to log' in the toolbar ribbon.  This will place a duplicate copy in a new folder labeled 'brew log'.  You can then go to this folder and adjust the date to your brew date and make any last minute changes to the recipe.  Use this copy in the brew log to track your brew day information and your master copy in your 'my recipes' folder will remain untouched.

You can go further by creating subfolders at any level.  For instance, under the 'my recipes' folder, I have folders for 'ale recipes', 'lager recipes', 'new recipes', 'experimental recipes', and 'clone/book recipes'.  Under the 'brew log' folder, I have subfolders for 'fermenting', and finished xxxx' where 'xxxx' is the year the recipe was brewed.  This allows me to keep the main brew log folder clean of excess past recipes and align my longer term recipe brewing schedule with my calendar.

In terms of 'linking' the brewed recipes together, I've used printouts of the brewed recipes in .txt format in a loose leaf binder to track my changes over the years.  Yeah, I'm kind of old fashioned like that.  Hang on, I've got to yell at the kids to get off the grass!

BOB357 and Oginme -  Thanks for the replies.  Brew Log seems to be what I was after. 

Back