• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding an ingredient

NaymzJaymz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Any tips on adding an ingredient? In this case I wish to add Briess Midnight Wheat Malt to my list. Upon selecting the add on for Briess(which contained 66 items), I could not find this malt in my list of malts to add to recipe. Did I even perform the add on properly? In the case of adding a malt to your list, where do you go to get all the specs or "properties" for that malt to add it to your list properly so that it can be adequately added to your recipe? Thanks.

You can get the information you need from the Briess web site.  They have a specification sheet for the Midnight Wheat which has the information you need to enter into BeerSmith.

I like this topic, answered some questions for me ... any info that might answer how to get all of the specs required for non-branded items?
(ex. coconut, raw sugars, Stevia sweeteners, etc?)
Grains like Quaker Oats Old Fashioned (Oat flakes), Cherries, certain extracts, etc.
The reason I ask is that it would help a lot as far as yield, SRM, ABV, etc.
Thanks

Starting with the easiest of them:  flaked oats are flaked oats.  I use the flaked oats values in BeerSmith for the Quaker oats that I get from the grocery store (much cheaper).  Never had an issue with the results in recipes containing up to 22% oats. 

For many of the rest, Google is a great assistant in discovering that information.  For example, when I was looking for information on fruits, Google gave me this site http://kotmf.com/articles/fruitsugar.php which proved very helpful.  Once you have the sugar content of any fermentable ingredient, you can easily calculate the yield potential.

Color is a bit more difficult, but with a comparison Lovibond chart, you can get pretty close.  Those can be found through my personal assistant, Google, as well.

Thanks Oginme - I'll be checking on those whenever I get to town. Nice to know someone's got it all worked out ;>)!

Back