• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advice on calculating mineral additions to the boil

at3deco3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
H,i I am looking for some advice on mineral additions to my boil.
Over the past 6 months I have been using Bru'n Water to calculate my mash addition and my sparge addition (added at boil).
Since I have a HERMS setup, I fill my HLT to the top (20 gallons RO water) then heat my mash water.  Transfer my mash water to my mash tun then add my minerals based on Bru'n Water.
For Sparging, I fly sparge with just straight RO water without any mineral additions.  I always sparge enough until I get my pre-boil volume as calculated in Beersmith.

So if a particular recipe calls for a final boil volume of 12 gallons, 10.5 gallons of mash water, and the water lost to grain absorption in the mash is 3.5 gallons.
I have been doing the following:  12-(10.5-3.5) = 5 gallons.  I use the 5 gallons for my sparge water mineral calculation which I add directly to the boil kettle.

Is the proper method for calculating the right amount of minerals to use in the boil in order to match a particular style of beer?
If so is there a way in Beersmith 3 to automatically calculate this?  I do like that mash minerals are automatically calculated, but it doesn't work for my boil addition, since it wants to use the pre-boil volume to calculate this addition, which ends up being too much water and as a result too much minerals.

Back