• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add temp drop for mash tun pump and piping

scubabuzz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a 15 degree temp drop when pumping my mash water from the HLT to the MT and I would like to account for that in a Equipment or Mash profile.  I don't see where  I can add it in the Equipment profile and when I create a new mash profile (infusion) and try to modify the Infusion temperature I cannot.  I can change the step temp and it calculates the Infusion temp for me but I can't change the infusion to match my equipment profile with the pump.  Any help on where I can account for this temp loss is appreciated.

You can change the mash tun specific heat to force the program to raise the the specified temperature of the mash water.

There are ways to calculate the specific heat - I've forgotten the equation - but you can use water to do a trial and error adjustment.

Or, just add x degrees to the specified mash-in temp.

So how do I add x degrees to the mash-in temp?  As I stated before when I add a mash-in step the program will not let me change the Infusion temp.  I can change the step temp but that is not what I want.

Since you already know the temperature drop (15 degrees) for the water, you know the temperature change you are looking to accomplish.  If it were me, I would change the weight of the mash tun to include the mass of the pump and lines.  You can do this by editing the equipment profile within the recipe that you have observed and measured the temperature drop.  Change the weight of the mash tun and save to observe the difference in strike temperature until the new strike temperature is approximately 15 degrees higher to reach the mash temperature you desire.  You may need to fine tune this on your next brew, but it should get you pretty close.

Before you do this, double check to make sure that you have the box checked to 'adjust temp for equip'.

Back