• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith vs. Mr. Malty calcs for pitch rates and viability

telemarkus

Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all;

I have noticed that there seems to be a discrepancy in calculations between yeast starter requirements in BeerSmith vs. Mr. Malty and it has been puzzling me for some time.

Mr. Malty always recommends to use more packets of years and starter size volume than Beersmith. I think this is mainly due to the way Mr. Malty is calculating the viability of yeast. Mr.Malty has a significantly lower viability calculation for the same date of production than Beersmith does.

I have discussed viability with a lot of people and most argue that it is higher than what Mr. Malty calculates it it. But that being said the brewers I discussed this with are not Chris and Jamil and their book.

So what is everyone's thoughts on the calculator in Beersmith? Perhaps I should send Brad an email on this one.

Cheers,

Markus

Mr. Malty and the model that Brad uses in the BeerSmith software are from two different data sets and represent two different aging and growth models for the yeast.  I believe that BeerSmith uses the Kai Troister data and model which is published on Kai's web pages.  Mr. Malty (Jamil Zainasheff) has not published his raw data to my knowledge.  Jamil claims it to give the same numbers as the rate calculator developed by Wyeast, but I have never compared them to comment.

With regard to which is more accurate, it may all depend upon too many variables to firmly decide.  Pick one, use it, and you will be close enough for the majority of what you brew.  I have been overbuilding my starters and pitching based upon cell counts and the numbers recommended by the BeerSmith software.  These number targets seem to be pretty close to the other yeast growth calculator I use which is at www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

The nasty secret is:  Pick one calculator and pitch your yeast based upon that recommended.  Underpitch or overpitching your yeast cell counts will still make beer.  Pitching cell counts based upon one yeast starter calculation will at least be consistent so you can learn what to expect for that yeast in your process and be able to repeat it on future brews.

Thanks for the info Oginme. Yes I have always overbuilt my starters according to what Beersmith is telling me. I have never had off flavors developed through an underpitch, but was nervous sometimes as Mr. Malty would have suggested i needed way more than even my overpitch Beersmith calculations even came out to.

Thanks again,

Markus

Back