Author Topic: First Time Recipe Creation - Hazy IPA  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Beery

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
First Time Recipe Creation - Hazy IPA
« on: June 02, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
Building a Hazy IPA from scratch although I did get some inspiration from https://byo.com/article/neipa-style-profile/.
I also found Amarillo, Cascade, and Citra hops at a deep discount, as well as the yeast. So that determined the hops and yeast. I added the style guide from https://www.brewersassociation.org/resources/brewers-association-beer-style-guidelines/#216 for Juicy\Hazy IPA and adjusted the recipe accordingly. I have no prior experience combining hops but my research indicated these should play well together. I won't be able to brew this for another week or so but would love comments. criticism, suggestions etc.
Thanks!
In the bottle: Juicy Werks NEIPA clone.
In the fermenter:  Weissbier

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: First Time Recipe Creation - Hazy IPA
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:15:15 AM »
I've spent a lot of time researching NEIPAs over the past year before working to design my own.  I kind of built up the different aspects in other recipes before combining them into a recipe and brewing.  This is actually how I work my IPA recipes is by establishing a base beer and slowly adding to it to transform it to the actual style and flavors I want.

Looking at your recipe, I would make the following suggestions:

1.  You need to build a good mouthfeel to establish that 'juicy' aspect without much lingering sweetness.  I would recommend a combined percentage of oats and wheat to be in the range of 15% at a minimum to 25%, though I've seen recipes with higher content.  My base recipe was an American Wheat so the wheat content was already high and it really wasn't until I replaced the wheat with about 10% oats that I was able to get a fuller mouthfeel.  Wheat by itself will not cut it and getting the oats up to the 10%+ range is needed.

2.  Yeast choice is very important.  US-05 is really too 'clean' of a yeast and will not support the fruity flavors as well as an English yeast or the Alchemist strain will.  I ended up with WY1318 which seems to be a common denominator among a lot of the recipes I found.  If I had to go only dry yeast, I would opt for the S-04 which can throw a good amount of esters to support the fruity hop flavors

3.  Hopping schedule is critical.  I've found that layering the hop additions is key to not only a lasting hop aroma, but also contributing to that 'fruity' flavor.  I moved my bittering hop charge up to 30 minutes and aimed for about 18 to 20 IBU for the base beer.  Through playing around with the wheat beer recipe, I went from 1 to 2 and then to 3 whirlpool steep additions, which really added to the hop complexity and brought out a lot of the different flavors from the hops that I used.  Likewise, I ended up with three dry hop additions with the first addition at the second day of full fermentation activity.  While the other two additions at 4 days  and 7 days gave a great hop aroma, that first addition while the yeast is very active provided a lasting haze, added substantial bitterness, and really improved that fruity flavor.  I may not have needed to include both of the last two dry hops, but I was building from previous recipes and liked the outcome of those

If you have not read it yet, Scott Janish has a great running blog on his web site at ScottJanish.com which contains a lot of his investigation into what makes a NEIPA.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know how it turned out!
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Beery

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: First Time Recipe Creation - Hazy IPA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
Thanks Oginme. You are right that I did not give enough thought to the hop schedule. I am currently drinking this https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/ which has multiple hops layers post boil and in the fermenter. It was my first NEIPA and came out pretty good. It also used 1318.
Thanks!
In the bottle: Juicy Werks NEIPA clone.
In the fermenter:  Weissbier

modification