• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Time Recipe Creation - Hazy IPA

Beery

Apprentice
Reaction score
Building a Hazy IPA from scratch although I did get some inspiration from https://byo.com/article/neipa-style-profile/.
I also found Amarillo, Cascade, and Citra hops at a deep discount, as well as the yeast. So that determined the hops and yeast. I added the style guide from https://www.brewersassociation.org/resources/brewers-association-beer-style-guidelines/#216 for Juicy\Hazy IPA and adjusted the recipe accordingly. I have no prior experience combining hops but my research indicated these should play well together. I won't be able to brew this for another week or so but would love comments. criticism, suggestions etc.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Hazy IPA.pdf
    117.7 KB · Views: 327
I've spent a lot of time researching NEIPAs over the past year before working to design my own.  I kind of built up the different aspects in other recipes before combining them into a recipe and brewing.  This is actually how I work my IPA recipes is by establishing a base beer and slowly adding to it to transform it to the actual style and flavors I want.

Looking at your recipe, I would make the following suggestions:

1.  You need to build a good mouthfeel to establish that 'juicy' aspect without much lingering sweetness.  I would recommend a combined percentage of oats and wheat to be in the range of 15% at a minimum to 25%, though I've seen recipes with higher content.  My base recipe was an American Wheat so the wheat content was already high and it really wasn't until I replaced the wheat with about 10% oats that I was able to get a fuller mouthfeel.  Wheat by itself will not cut it and getting the oats up to the 10%+ range is needed.

2.  Yeast choice is very important.  US-05 is really too 'clean' of a yeast and will not support the fruity flavors as well as an English yeast or the Alchemist strain will.  I ended up with WY1318 which seems to be a common denominator among a lot of the recipes I found.  If I had to go only dry yeast, I would opt for the S-04 which can throw a good amount of esters to support the fruity hop flavors

3.  Hopping schedule is critical.  I've found that layering the hop additions is key to not only a lasting hop aroma, but also contributing to that 'fruity' flavor.  I moved my bittering hop charge up to 30 minutes and aimed for about 18 to 20 IBU for the base beer.  Through playing around with the wheat beer recipe, I went from 1 to 2 and then to 3 whirlpool steep additions, which really added to the hop complexity and brought out a lot of the different flavors from the hops that I used.  Likewise, I ended up with three dry hop additions with the first addition at the second day of full fermentation activity.  While the other two additions at 4 days  and 7 days gave a great hop aroma, that first addition while the yeast is very active provided a lasting haze, added substantial bitterness, and really improved that fruity flavor.  I may not have needed to include both of the last two dry hops, but I was building from previous recipes and liked the outcome of those

If you have not read it yet, Scott Janish has a great running blog on his web site at ScottJanish.com which contains a lot of his investigation into what makes a NEIPA.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know how it turned out!

Back