• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Official NEIPA style guide?

Beery

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have read a lot about NEIPA being recognized as a style in the past year or so (and all the controversy), but have as of yet to see an official guide. I cannot find a BJCP entry and I really don't know how that organization evolves their list. Maybe some contests have developed a guideline? If there really is an official consensus as to a style guideline I'd like to see it and add it to BS. I am most curious about what it would say about bitterness.
-Beery

The Brewer's Association has published a guideline for NEIPAs, but I think the BJCP guideline is still in draft form.  I know some competitions have added it as a new category.  I have not seen any specifics on their definition.  Below is the BA's description of the elusive NEIPA.

Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale
Color: Straw to deep gold
Clarity: Low to very high degree of cloudiness is typical of these beers. Starch, yeast, hop, protein and/or other compounds contribute to a wide range of hazy appearance within this category.
Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to low-medium malt aroma and flavor may be present
Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-high to very high hop aroma and flavor are present, with attributes typical of hops from any origin.
Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium. Perceived impression of bitterness is soft and well-integrated into overall balance, and may differ significantly from measured or calculated IBU levels.
Fermentation Characteristics: Low to medium fruity-estery aroma and flavor may be present, but are usually overwhelmed by hop fruitiness. Diacetyl should not be perceived.
Body: Medium-low to medium-high. Perceived silky or full mouthfeel may contribute to overall flavor profile.
Additional notes: Grist may include a small amount of oat, wheat or other adjuncts to promote haziness. Descriptors such as ?juicy? are often used to describe the taste and aroma hop-derived attributes present in these beers.
Original Gravity (?Plato) 1.044-1.050(11-12.4 ?Plato) ? Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (?Plato) 1.008-1.014(2.1-3.6 ?Plato) ? Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.5%-4.3%(4.4%-5.4%) ? Bitterness (IBU) 30-50; may differ from perceived bitterness ? Color SRM (EBC) 4-7(8-14 EBC)

Attachments

• hazyjuiceipa.bsmx
    2.3 KB · Views: 802
Great info, thanks to both of you. I think this Brewers Association Guideline fits what my experience with locally brewed (NEIPA in the NW!) Hazy and NEIPA :
Juicy or Hazy Imperial or Double India Pale Ale
Color: Straw to deep gold
Clarity: Low to very high degree of cloudiness is typical of these beers. Starch, yeast, hop, protein and/or other compounds contribute to a wide range of hazy appearance within this category.
Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to high malt aroma and flavor may be present
Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: High to very high hop aroma and flavor are present, with attributes typical of hops from any origin.
Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium. Perceived impression of bitterness is soft and well-integrated into overall balance, and may differ significantly from measured or calculated IBU levels.
Fermentation Characteristics: Low to medium fruity-estery aroma and flavor may be present, but are usually overwhelmed by hop character. Diacetyl should not be perceived.
Body: Medium to high. Perceived silky or full mouthfeel may contribute to overall flavor profile.
Additional notes: Grist may include a small amount of oat, wheat or other adjuncts to promote haziness. Descriptors such as ?juicy? are often used to describe the taste and aroma hop-derived attributes present in these beers.

Original Gravity (?Plato) 1.070-1.100(17.1-23.7 ?Plato) ? Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (?Plato) 1.012-1.020(3.1-5.1 ?Plato) ? Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 6.0%-8.4%(7.6%-10.6%) ? Bitterness (IBU) 65-100; may differ from perceived bitterness ? Color SRM (EBC) 4-7(8-14 EBC)

jomebrew, that file opened up blank in BS, was it supposed to?

Back