• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing a Shandy - Add Lemonade to beersmith to be able to scale recipe

johncarlson21

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a recipe for a summer style shandy. I'm looking to scale the recipe in beersmith but obviously Lemonade is not an option under "Add Misc"
I don't even see Lemon under Misc, just Orange Peel. I would think that this would be something already added.

Have any of you done this with positive results? or is this just a wing it type of thing?

Thanks in advance.

I have added quite a number of materials to my libraries in BeerSmith.  Not only different fruits, concentrates, and juices, but also new hops, grains, and other fermentables.  When you open up one of the ingredient libraries, there will be an icon in the ribbon that lets you 'add X' which will open up a template for you to enter the specifics for that ingredient.

Well.. I know how to add the different things, what I'm looking for I guess would be the specific numbers info, primary/secondary etc..
looking for a way to use it in scaling also.

still can't believe that lemon isn't in there as a zest etc..

I guess if Brad wanted to he could quantify adding the kitchen sink. Personally, for the price, I believe BS to be one of the best values out there. If there was a demand to have a particular ingredient added, I'm certain it would have been answered, either by Brad or a user. Maybe this is your opportunity to do some research and contribute.

johncarlson21 said:
Well.. I know how to add the different things, what I'm looking for I guess would be the specific numbers info, primary/secondary etc..
looking for a way to use it in scaling also.

still can't believe that lemon isn't in there as a zest etc..

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. 

The answer will be different for every ingredient and, for many miscellaneous items, individual brewers.  I add cinnamon sticks to mash, boil, and primary depending upon what flavors I want to come out and how strong I want it to be in the finished beer.  Same with lemon zest, some recipes I add in the boil, some in the whirlpool, and others in the fermenter. 

As for the numbers to add into a recipe, I usually do my research on other recipes that use that ingredient and then start with that addition rate per liter of wort or beer.  I adjust it as my experience from using that ingredient comes through in the finished product versus my expectation 

In your specific case of using lemonade, I would most likely opt to use lemonade concentrate, put it in the fermentables inventory using some of the information on the can to fill out how much of the material is carbohydrates or sugars.  Again, I can and will adjust this once I brew with it and figure out the actual contribution to gravity.

Back