• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing with Oats - Beersmith Efficiency Calcs?

andyn2001

Brewer
Reaction score
I have brewed 4 or 5 New England Style IPA and every one of them has come short with it's OG, by about 4 or even 5 pts. I'm very rarely even 2 out.

I have suspected it was the oats, but you know you blame yourself first!! So, I did I bit of research and found an article that said Oats efficiencies are 70-75% of Pale Malt, that takes them down to around 60%, where Beersmith seems to have them from around 70 to 80% depending on which one used.

Are my suspicions correct? Has anyone else had a similar prob when using a large amount of malted or flaked oats?

When I change the efficiency setting for the oats in Beersmith I get the OG I brewed.

I've always double checked and changed the extract potential for my malts depending upon the latest spec sheet from the malt house or the COA for the lot I purchased.  Oats are the same way.  Just like the %AA in hops, grains can vary from year to year.

Back