• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hops

Nicasio Tom

Brewer
Reaction score
What is the best way to evaluate a hop for flavor and aroma before brewing?

first, look at the characteristic of the hops and research the flavor and aroma profiles.  Then think about the beer you plan to make.  Would you want grapefruit and passionfruit in a porter?  Do you want an herbal Pilsner?  Think about what you want.

Smell the hops and pick out familiar aromas.  Do you want those in the beer you plan to make?

There are a ton of resources out there that have tables etc often effectively called "hop substitute" charts. These are super helpful when you get to the store with a recipe and they don't have the hop you are planning on using. I personally like John Palmer's Hop Wheel, it's a great presentation:

https://biohazardbrewery.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/hop-character-wheel.png

I always go to the store with my recipe loaded onto my phone so that I can handle updating hops with different AA% on the fly and make sure I buy the right quantitites.

Back