Author Topic: Cost of our Passion  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Exit12Brewery_Nick

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Push limits of home brew, experiment every day!
    • Exit 12 Brewery
Re: Cost of our Passion
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
I am not brewing beer because I cannot afford to buy it, but nevertheless I always figured the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch should cost considerably less than buying the equivalent amount of beer at the grocery store. I recently switched from extract to all grain which really is an ingredients savings, but still, at my local home brew store hops are 2.50 - 3.50 and ounce, so a big IPA hops bill could easily be 25 - 30 bucks alone. Yeast is 7.75 or so a pack, and they stock almost no dry yeast which I actually prefer. Base malt at 1.60.... is this what you all are used to paying? What do you do to save a few bucks on ingredients?  Online I see hops by the pound at a considerable savings. Does it store well?

Thoughts about ingredient costs and ways to save?

Brewing, for me, was never about saving money, but more a reason for my buddies & I to get together since everyone is so busy. We smoke food, have a tasting, and enjoy the day. With that said, some ways to save $$:

- Buy in bulk. Grain, hops, etc. etc. -- you'll find that while the savings could be minimal, over time if you tracked it, they lead to huge savings.

- I'm all about supporting local business. With that said, some prices I can't justify, so I do a lot of ordering online; mainly at MoreBeer as their pricing is not only competitive, in many situations they beat out suppliers like Yakima Valley. In addition, you can get free "MoreSaver" shipping with any order $50+. If you plan in advance correctly, you could order ingredients for two beers, get free shipping, and competitive pricing.

- Look for alternative, "works just as well" cleaners, santizers, etc. For example, I watched a video on YouTube that compares cleaning agents PBW, Oxy Clean, & Sodium Percarbonate. Kosher Sodium Percarbonate is $13 for a 5lb package, whereas PBW is $25 for 4lbs & Oxyclean slightly cheaper than Sodium. For the $, Sodium Percarbonate is the way to go (according to the video.)

Just some ideas. Cheers!
In The Kegerator:
Boston Bruins: --

UC Bearcats: "Bryant vs. Bird" American IPA

On Deck:

Fermenting: Super SMaSH #2 -- IPA // Twice In A Lifetime BA Imperial Milk Coffee Stout

Planning: Apple Brown Ale // Triple Play IPA

Offline Exit12Brewery_Nick

• Push limits of home brew, experiment every day!
    • Exit 12 Brewery
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
Those prices sound pretty high. Many of the on line suppliers have much better prices and offer either reasonable flat rate shipping or free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount.

I buy hops by the pound and usually pay between $10 and $18 per lb. Yakima Valley Hops offers USPS flat rate shipping for up to 4 lbs. of pellets for $7. There are suppliers with lower prices, but with their shipping rates they are often more costly. 

I pay well under $1 / lb. for base malt by the sack from my LHBS. See if you can negotiate a reasonable price on sacks from your supplier. All on line suppliers charge actual shipping cost for sacks, which is high enough that you can find the same grain cheaper by the pound. I used to buy from More Beer and paid about $1.05/lb. for 10 lbs. of 2-row. They do charge a little extra for milling, but offer free shipping for orders over $59.

I generally use dry yeast and my LHBS doesn't have much of a variety either. When I do order anything from on line suppliers I check on their dry yeast and if they have what I want I'll order several packets. As a rule that will add little or nothing to shipping cost of the order.

You need to shop around. Even though I do well price wise, I still shop around for deals. There are a bunch of on line suppliers with reasonable prices, and if you order wisely you can get free, or very reasonable, shipping that doesn't raise your unit cost much at all.

And to Bob's point (of which I agree with), join e-mail newsletters and lists of online suppliers to get good deals. Ordering in bulk is huge, BUT WATCH OUT FOR PACKAGE DEALS. For example, Yakima Valley was recently running a 1/2lb special for $40 on a 2017 hop package featuring Mosaic, Cascade, Centennial, and El Dorado "with 1/2lb of Citra for free" -- all for $40. It's called "The Craft Pack". We almost bought it, but beforehand (thankfully) I went on to the site and added up all of the hops; WITHOUT the "free" Citra, it was $28. There's no deal or nothing "FREE" about that. I don't know if that's all of their packages (we've bought a few), but just a heads up; do your research.

With that said, we have no problem purchasing 2016 hops from YVH because we know they're packages air tight & stored correctly. You can get some phenomenal deals there.
In The Kegerator:
Boston Bruins: --

UC Bearcats: "Bryant vs. Bird" American IPA

On Deck:

Fermenting: Super SMaSH #2 -- IPA // Twice In A Lifetime BA Imperial Milk Coffee Stout

Planning: Apple Brown Ale // Triple Play IPA

Offline BILLY BREW

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • GOOD BEER GOOD FRIENDS GOOD TIMES
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey Beery? You ever find a better supplier for your love?
Grand dad? Can I have a ride on your motorcycle and then help you brew? Come on!?! Are there any sweeter words?

Offline Stercomancy

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:44:03 PM »
+$200 kegerator, so $550 in equipment. (Kegs as well as other things not shown are included in previous number)

10 gallon batches all-grain.

Brewed on this equipment for about 6 years. Let's say 100 gallons a year (Brewing for two). so 600 gallons.

Average $50 per 10 gallons or about $5/gallon.

So, $3550 for 600 gallons of beer = $5.91 per gallon including equipment cost

1 gallon = 10.66 bottles

So, about 56 cents per bottle or $3.33 per six pack
Let's begin the search for the best bottle warmer

Offline dtapke

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 09:33:05 AM »
I don't want to do that because i just upgraded equipment.... lol!

I do know it'll pay for itself in time, and it is a hobby, so whats it matter? it makes me happy.

I also grow hydroponic lettuces and herbs, i can assure you thats an even bigger waste of money.
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Dopplebock, NEIPA, Pils
Primary: empty
Secondary/Lagering:
Next Brew: RIS

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »

I do know it'll pay for itself in time, and it is a hobby, so whats it matter? it makes me happy.

I also grow hydroponic lettuces and herbs, i can assure you thats an even bigger waste of money.

This is the key part of my brewing as well.  I do it because (a) I enjoy the process, (b) I enjoy the product of the process, and (c) it tickles a lot of my science buttons allowing me to engage in avenues of scientific development (yeast culturing, cell counts, brewing chemistry) which my real work would not allow me to pursue. 

My other 'hobby' is raising dairy goats.  Again, I love the animals (well, most of them), love the products (milk, yogurt and cheese the wife makes, and meat), and it again takes me to areas of scientific endeavors (genetics, veterinary medicine, animal nutrition, anatomy and physiology) which my 'normal' job does not cover. 

Yes, my beer costs less than buying it outright at this point but I would be drinking a lot less also. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »
I am not brewing beer because I cannot afford to buy it, but nevertheless I always figured the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch should cost considerably less than buying the equivalent amount of beer at the grocery store. I recently switched from extract to all grain which really is an ingredients savings, but still, at my local home brew store hops are 2.50 - 3.50 and ounce, so a big IPA hops bill could easily be 25 - 30 bucks alone. Yeast is 7.75 or so a pack, and they stock almost no dry yeast which I actually prefer. Base malt at 1.60.... is this what you all are used to paying? What do you do to save a few bucks on ingredients?  Online I see hops by the pound at a considerable savings. Does it store well?

Thoughts about ingredient costs and ways to save?

One of the beers I'm sending to the NHC this year has a $50.00 hop bill. Yeah I know it's insane but it's between $3 and $6 per 2 ounce pack at my shop depending on rarity of the hops. Galaxy is quite expensive.

Offline dtapke

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »

One of the beers I'm sending to the NHC this year has a $50.00 hop bill. Yeah I know it's insane but it's between $3 and $6 per 2 ounce pack at my shop depending on rarity of the hops. Galaxy is quite expensive.

Buy it by the pound, store in deep freeze. HSI doesn't really factor much if you keep in a deep freeze and vacuum pack. I even N2 flush and vacuum pack into deep freeze.
32g eHERMS
Secondary/Lagering:

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »

Buy it by the pound, store in deep freeze. HSI doesn't really factor much if you keep in a deep freeze and vacuum pack. I even N2 flush and vacuum pack into deep freeze.

I have had a pack of sealed unopened cascade 1 pound in my freezer, normal fridge freezer for a year they should still be good. Pellet form by the way, ive also bought and regularly use whole cone hops

Offline dtapke

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 07:35:26 AM »

I have had a pack of sealed unopened cascade 1 pound in my freezer, normal fridge freezer for a year they should still be good. Pellet form by the way, ive also bought and regularly use whole cone hops

I bought a deep freezer last time my local hardware store had one on sale, i've got around 50lbs of hops in there now :) If i need an ounce, i buy a pound. if i need a few ounces, i buy a few pounds! I figure I'll use them eventually!
32g eHERMS
Secondary/Lagering:

Offline makemorebeer

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
I feel like doing the math against a mainstream beer like miller or bud, you'd save money buying the commercial beers, but compare that to 48 bottles of craft beer and you're winning every time.  That said i brew because I enjoy the process, not just the product. 

As much as I'd love to buy local, i echo what others have said about local home brew shops vs. places like northern brewer.  I could not afford to brew half as often if i paid local prices.

modification