• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory Question for Newbie

neon0107

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Newbie her and starting to get the hang of the software.  I just started purchasing Hops and Grain in bulk so I thought I would start using the inventory process to keep track of it all.  Not sure I am doing this right or not.  I add the items to the inventory.  On my recipe it shows 16 ounces for the hops is in the inventory.  What do you need to do so that the recipe will subtract what is in the recipe from inventory?  Or does it not do that?  If not, how do you stay on top of your inventory?

Thanks

When you brew a recipe, there will be an icon on the middle ribbon that is labeled 'remove inv'.  This will be active if you have a recipe open or have highlighted a recipe.  When you click on this button, beersmith will subtract the recipe target values from your current inventory values.  It does a whole recipe at a time.  It will also pop up a window if you try to remove ingredients which are not in the inventory to let you know what might not be present.

Oginme said:
When you brew a recipe, there will be an icon on the middle ribbon that is labeled 'remove inv'.  This will be active if you have a recipe open or have highlighted a recipe.  When you click on this button, beersmith will subtract the recipe target values from your current inventory values.  It does a whole recipe at a time.  It will also pop up a window if you try to remove ingredients which are not in the inventory to let you know what might not be present.

Thank You!!! I never saw it up there, was looking more in line with where the Mash, Session buttons were.

If you try to "Remove Inv" and get a warning that there is some ingredients missing and you press "Cancel" (for example if you want to correct your inventaries).
When you push "Remove Inv" next time you get a warning that you "recently removed this recipe from inventory".
I think this is confusing because you are never shure if you really have removed the ingredients from your inventaries

All the program remembers is that you already tried to remove the inventory once.  If you had to cancel out of of 'remove from inventory', then the program does not actually subtract the ingredients from existing inventory and you can safely tell it to proceed through the warning.  I regard the inventory feature as being weak in the program as it exists today and use a spreadsheet to keep track of my usage and inventory outside of BeerSmith as a result.  I will admit that part of the issue is me in forgetting sometimes to remove the inventory when I brew a recipe, but some of it is the way the program is set up versus how I manage my ingredients inventory.

Back