Author Topic: Best burner to get for BIAB  (Read 3067 times)

Offline tpw

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Best burner to get for BIAB
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
I'm looking for a propane burner to start my venture into BIAB. Any suggestions for a good one? How many BTU's to look for? I've sen some that sit low to the ground and others that stand up higher. Any stability issues with a 8-10 gallon brew pot? Cast iron, or steel? Any other suggestions out there?

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I make beer. Not a style.
Re: Best burner to get for BIAB
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »
Personally, if I were starting over, I would go electric. Propane gets expensive and always runs out on you at the absolute worst times. That being said, I have both an inexpensive turkey fryer propane burner and a couple more expensive ones (bayou classic and hurricane) and they all do the job. My hurricane does a better job on 10+ gallons but I make far more 5 gallon batches and on those I'm constantly turning that one down because it's such a monster.
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn

Offline enkamania

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
I have a Blichmann burner and it's worked great for me.  I bought it before they put out their Hellfire burner.  I always have two propane tanks, just in case one runs out.

Offline chasjs

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 3 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
I purchased the Edelmetal Bru burner.   I was thinking about the Blichmann but found the Edelmetal on sale.   It works great and I am really happy with it.

Online BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »
I use a King Kooker burner that's rated at 65,000BTUs. I do full volume boil 5.5 gallon batches using the BIAB method  with a pre boil volume of about  8 1/2 gallons.. This burner heats to a boil in a reasonable period of time and I need to almost shut it down to maintain a healthy boil.
Bob