• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

help designing an extract version of grapefruit honey ale

puyol_hollandaise

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all - first post to the forums so forgive me if this is not in the right spot or format!

I'm getting set to brew my 4th batch ever ;D, using a recipe from the Brooklyn Brew Shop Beer Making book as a guide - its called Grapefruit Honey Ale. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the exact recipe straight from the book (copyright?) so here is what I ended up with after entering the ingredients into beersmith as an all grain recipe. (I'm trying to convert it to extract and just looking for a little help in understanding that process and finalizing my steps to follow on brew day)

Ingredients: attached as grapefruit_honey_ale_all_grain.bsmx
------------
Amt                  Name                                                    Type              #                %/IBU       
6 lbs 12.0 oz      Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)          Grain        1        61.7 %       
12.0 oz              Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)                    Grain        2        6.9 %       
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)    Grain        3        4.6 %       
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain        4        4.6 %       
8.0 oz                Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                            Grain        5        4.6 %       
1 lbs                Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)                    Sugar        6        9.1 %       
1.00 oz            Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop          7        35.9 IBUs   
0.50 oz            Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.  Hop          8        27.3 IBUs   
1.0 pkg            SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)  Yeast        9        -           
1 lbs                Honey (1.0 SRM)                                          Sugar        10      8.6 % 

I attempted to do Beer Smiths auto-convert feature to turn it into an extract recipe. I've only done all-grain when following the directions from Brooklyn Brew Shop kits. I made a winter ale using brew in a bag method of steeping grains so I was going to try that technique again. After converting I noticed some of the volumes/weights had changed but one question I am still struggling with is if I consider this a partial mash or extract brew as Beer Smith seems to give me slightly different numbers depending on which I choose. Here is the recipe after doing conversion to extract.

Ingredients: attached as grapefruit_honey_ale_extract_converted.bsmx
------------
Amt                  Name                                                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
1.4 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)              Grain        1        1.0 %       
1.4 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)                Grain        2        1.0 %       
1.4 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)                Grain        3        1.0 %       
4 lbs 14.6 oz        Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)                            Extract      4        57.0 %       
7.3 oz                Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)                              Extract      5        5.3 %       
1 lbs 8.4 oz          Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)                                Sugar        6        17.7 %       
0.97 oz              Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min                              Hop          7        35.9 IBUs   
0.49 oz              Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.                Hop          8        27.3 IBUs   
1.0 pkg              SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)              Yeast        9        -           
1 lbs 7.3 oz          Honey (1.0 SRM)                                                        Sugar        10      16.9 %

So I see that it has dialed down my numbers for my base malt and wheat liquid extract which seems to coincide with formulas I've seen such as 75% of the all-grain amounts. But I wondered if I need to really reduce the amount of the specialty grains? And not sure why its replaced victory with caramel/crystal malt 30L?

Anyhow, I went down to my local homebrew shop and the guy helped me pick out some items from this list - I've then gone back and revised the extract recipe with the actual ingredients I bought and updated the volumes/weights to what I bought. The final crafted recipe so far that I've got is as follows

Ingredients: attached as grapefruit_honey_ale_extract.bsmx
------------
Amt                  Name                                                                  Type            #        %/IBU       
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)              Grain        1        4.5 %       
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)                Grain        2        4.5 %       
8.0 oz                Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                                      Grain        3        4.5 %       
1 lbs                DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM)            Dry Extract  4        9.0 %       
6 lbs 9.6 oz          LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM)                  Extract      5        59.5 %       
1 lbs                Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)                                Sugar        6        9.0 %       
1.00 oz              Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min                          Hop          7        30.1 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.90 %] - Boil 60.          Hop          8        26.0 IBUs   
1.0 pkg              SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)            Yeast        9        -           
1 lbs                Honey (1.0 SRM)                                                    Sugar        10      9.0 %     

So just want to check if I'm making the right call on some of the adjustments and if I need to adjust volumes/amounts further

1) I reset the speciality malts back to their original weights and added victory malt back in - I think I'll steep all of these together in a bag?

2) for the base malt I bought 2 jugs of CBW golden light pure malt extract from Briess (each is 3.3 lbs) so x2 = 6.6 pounds -- but I think I will have to use less than the total amount correct? seeing as the original all grain recipe called for 6 pounds 12 oz of pale 2 row malt?

3) for the wheat I bought a 1 lb bag of CBW Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract from Briess -- can I just add that whole amount in or again I'll need to scale it back to match the 12 oz of torrified wheat previously called for?

4) do I need to change the amounts of the Honey and Candi Sugar used? For candi sugar I bought a 1lb bag of simplicity premium blonde candi syrup as the guy said it was easier to use --- I noticed Beer Smith seems to think I'll need about 50% more of each of these ingredients (interesting to note though if I did the conversion as a partial extract the amounts of these ingredients stay basically the same)

Hope that was all clear enough --- any insights from the gurus for a very newbish brewer would be much appreciated

Attachments

• grapefruit_honey_ale_all_grain.bsmx
    21.6 KB · Views: 200
  • grapefruit_honey_ale_extract.bsmx
    20.6 KB · Views: 200
  • grapefruit_honey_ale_extract_converted.bsmx
    21.4 KB · Views: 194
Hi all - first post to the forums so forgive me if this is not in the right spot or format!

I'm getting set to brew my 4th batch ever ;D, using a recipe from the Brooklyn Brew Shop Beer Making book as a guide - its called Grapefruit Honey Ale. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the exact recipe straight from the book (copyright?) so here is what I ended up with after entering the ingredients into beersmith as an all grain recipe. (I'm trying to convert it to extract and just looking for a little help in understanding that process and finalizing my steps to follow on brew day)

Ingredients: attached as grapefruit_honey_ale_all_grain.bsmx
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.7 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.6 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 6 9.1 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 35.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 8 27.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 9 -
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 8.6 %

I attempted to do Beer Smiths auto-convert feature to turn it into an extract recipe. I've only done all-grain when following the directions from Brooklyn Brew Shop kits. I made a winter ale using brew in a bag method of steeping grains so I was going to try that technique again. After converting I noticed some of the volumes/weights had changed but one question I am still struggling with is if I consider this a partial mash or extract brew as Beer Smith seems to give me slightly different numbers depending on which I choose metallic epoxy flooring tampa. Here is the recipe after doing conversion to extract.

Ingredients: attached as grapefruit_honey_ale_extract_converted.bsmx
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 1.0 %
1.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 1.0 %
1.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.0 %
4 lbs 14.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 57.0 %
7.3 oz Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 5 5.3 %
1 lbs 8.4 oz Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 6 17.7 %
0.97 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 35.9 IBUs
0.49 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 8 27.3 IBUs
1 lbs 7.3 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 16.9 %

So I see that it has dialed down my numbers for my base malt and wheat liquid extract which seems to coincide with formulas I've seen such as 75% of the all-grain amounts. But I wondered if I need to really reduce the amount of the specialty grains? And not sure why its replaced victory with caramel/crystal malt 30L?

Anyhow, I went down to my local homebrew shop and the guy helped me pick out some items from this list - I've then gone back and revised the extract recipe with the actual ingredients I bought and updated the volumes/weights to what I bought. The final crafted recipe so far that I've got is as follows

Ingredients: attached as grapefruit_honey_ale_extract.bsmx
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 4.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.5 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
1 lbs DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 9.0 %
6 lbs 9.6 oz LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 5 59.5 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 6 9.0 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 30.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.90 %] - Boil 60. Hop 8 26.0 IBUs
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 9.0 %

So just want to check if I'm making the right call on some of the adjustments and if I need to adjust volumes/amounts further

1) I reset the speciality malts back to their original weights and added victory malt back in - I think I'll steep all of these together in a bag?

2) for the base malt I bought 2 jugs of CBW golden light pure malt extract from Briess (each is 3.3 lbs) so x2 = 6.6 pounds -- but I think I will have to use less than the total amount correct? seeing as the original all grain recipe called for 6 pounds 12 oz of pale 2 row malt?

3) for the wheat I bought a 1 lb bag of CBW Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract from Briess -- can I just add that whole amount in or again I'll need to scale it back to match the 12 oz of torrified wheat previously called for?

4) do I need to change the amounts of the Honey and Candi Sugar used? For candi sugar I bought a 1lb bag of simplicity premium blonde candi syrup as the guy said it was easier to use --- I noticed Beer Smith seems to think I'll need about 50% more of each of these ingredients (interesting to note though if I did the conversion as a partial extract the amounts of these ingredients stay basically the same)

Hope that was all clear enough --- any insights from the gurus for a very newbish brewer would be much appreciated
It's great to see your enthusiasm for homebrewing! Converting all-grain recipes to extract can be a bit tricky, but I'll do my best to address your questions and provide some guidance.

1. Specialty Grains: Steeping specialty grains in a bag is a common practice for extract brewing. It's a good idea to steep them together to extract their flavors and colors. You've made the right call in resetting the specialty malts to their original weights and adding victory malt back in.
  2. Base Malt (Pale Malt): When converting from all-grain to extract, you typically use a ratio of 1 pound of dry malt extract (DME) to 0.75 pounds of all-grain malt. Since you have 6 pounds 12 ounces of pale malt in the original recipe, you can calculate the equivalent amount of DME by multiplying it by 0.75. In this case, it would be approximately 5 pounds of DME. Since you have 6.6 pounds of liquid malt extract (LME) available, you can use it, but you may want to slightly reduce the amount to match the original all-grain recipe.
  3. Wheat: For the wheat component, you can use the whole 1-pound bag of Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract. It should provide a similar contribution as the 12 ounces of torrified wheat in the original recipe.
  4. Honey and Candi Sugar: The amounts of honey and candi sugar you've chosen in your final recipe should work well. Beer Smith might suggest slightly different amounts due to its calculations, but you can stick with the amounts you've chosen.
Overall, your adjustments seem reasonable, and you've taken the right steps to convert the recipe to extract brewing. Keep in mind that brewing is a creative process, and making adjustments based on personal preference is part of the fun. As you gain more experience, you can experiment and fine-tune your recipes even further.

Remember to follow the standard brewing procedures for extract brewing, such as steeping specialty grains, boiling the malt extract, and adding hops at the appropriate times. Good luck with your brewing, and I hope your Grapefruit Honey Ale turns out delicious!

Back