• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Flavour

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Does beer flavour develop as fermentation progresses?

It seems like no matter what I do with hops etc there never seems to be enough flavour in my beer. I've steeped a load of hops in my latest batch and its now half way thought fermentation. I always taste my beer when taking reading to get an idea of how its developing and i just wanted to know if the hops flavour will develop after fermentation is complete?

Anybody have any idea?

Im using Safale US 05 in this batch. and have steeped with Citra / Pacific Gem and some fuggles.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I don't think that hop flavor develops with time, but as the sweetness goes away the hops may become more noticeable. Some other flavors do definitely change as fermentation progresses. My beers often taste a bit harsh and rough near the end of fermentation but smooth out when given a few more days. I usually bottle after two weeks or so and the beer definitely tastes different at bottling than during fermentation, but I wouldn't say that hop flavor increases.

Are you adjusting your water chemistry? Moderately high sulfates (~150 ppm) and a high sulfate/chloride ratio can enhance the flavor of hops.

--GF

Back