• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ratings

bargoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I do a cloud search for recipes one of the categories is "rating" but I don't know if 1 is a top or bottom rating.  Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
Brian

Just like Hotels, the more stars, the better the rating. My question is, are the people rating the recipes qualified?

My concerns too Bob... who is rating these? On the other side of the coin is that there are very few rated recipes. How many good ones am I missing buy only looking for 2, 3 or 4 stars? It would be nice if there were a way to post verified medal winning recipes from competitions.

Kevin58 said:
My concerns too Bob... who is rating these? On the other side of the coin is that there are very few rated recipes. How many good ones am I missing buy only looking for 2, 3 or 4 stars? It would be nice if there were a way to post verified medal winning recipes from competitions.

There is. If you aren't a member already, join the AHA. They break out gold medal winning recipes. Lots of other perks too, including discounts at lots of breweries, brew pubs and home brewing suppliers. They even have a free app for Android and I phones that tells you when you're a place that offers discounts.

BOB357 said:
Kevin58 said:

There is. If you aren't a member already, join the AHA. They break out gold medal winning recipes. Lots of other perks too, including discounts at lots of breweries, brew pubs and home brewing suppliers. They even have a free app for Android and I phones that tells you when you're a place that offers discounts.

Yes, I have been an AHA member for a long time. I was talking more about using medal winnings to rate the recipes in the Beersmith database instead of random stars... which mean nothing to me.

Kevin58 said:
Yes, I have been an AHA member for a long time. I was talking more about using medal winnings to rate the recipes in the Beersmith database instead of random stars... which mean nothing to me.

Or at least use competition score values -- something to give the ratings some validation.  Especially since Kevin58's brew of a recipe may come out different from my brew of the same recipe, it is hard to depend upon a subjective rating system when looking at a recipe.

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK, I guess I misunderstood. Sorry about that. I don't look for any particular recipe in the cloud search. I'm usually looking for consensus on appropriate ingredients, and possibly technique,s for a style I'm not too familiar with as part of my pre brew research. I have found a recipe search in Brewers Friend to be a valuable resource as well as the Beersmith Cloud Data Base'

Back