Author Topic: Anyone Else Enter The National Home Brew Competition?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: Anyone Else Enter The National Home Brew Competition?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »
I'm fine with accurate criticism but these guys were flat out wrong.  They failed to identify the real style issues with my beer.  I know what they are and hoped the strengths would be good enough to survive a few style points.  I worked dozens of comps including NHC 2nd round.  I do know how the system works and some of the flaws in the system.  I always hope my entries are not the ones that stuff happens to but this time, it was me.

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 11:24:22 PM »
If you're not ready to take the critique that comes with entering competitions, don't enter them. This competition has a vast number of entries in popular categories. You have to have beers that are exceptional to place well. My advice is to take any criticism as being constructive and work to overcome the flaws. If you choose to do otherwise, expect some disappointments.
Also, you might consider studying for and taking the BJCP exam. At very least this would tell you if you are qualified to the level the sitting judges are. I know I'm not.

I actually probably would be better at judging than the judges .

But yeah I don't care, I will enter into the next competition.

Offline brewfun

• STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »

That's unfortunate, my Vienna did really well all things considered I'm just amazed it didn't win a higher score really. I didn't taste anything the 2nd judge marked me down for.

My ipa did not taste anything like they said, it sat for 2 weeks on their end so they might have stored it wrong, that's what I'm guessing because it doesn't taste like that and I have half a case of it left.

I was really upset about that.

Think of it as a challenge! It's a situation where you have more control than you may think.

The Sacramento comps are very well run. The beers are kept cold from the moment their received. I'd put my thoughts into shipping.

You should try an experiment where you ship your beer to a buddy, then the buddy ships it back to you. Nothing extravagant, just across town will do. I'll bet that you'll see a big difference in the beer after it's been shipped. Numerous pro breweries have done studies on their beer once shipped and the results show that overland (ground) shipping is the biggest accelerator for oxidation.

I know that more than a few entrants hand deliver their beer on the last day (even the final hours) that they are due. It can really make a difference.

Like it or not, the sheets reflect what was tasted on that day. If oxidation was an issue, then it doesn't matter how it got accelerated because the air was introduced on your end. Find that cause and you'll see an increase in scores.

Perhaps purge your competition bottles with CO2. Perhaps transfer from the carboy into a sealed, purged corny keg (using the dip tube), then bottle from there. Competition is fierce on the national level and the medal winners do everything they can to present pristine beer.

You should consider taking the judging exam. Knowing the judging process and training will make you a better brewer.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »

That's unfortunate, my Vienna did really well all things considered I'm just amazed it didn't win a higher score really. I didn't taste anything the 2nd judge marked me down for.

My ipa did not taste anything like they said, it sat for 2 weeks on their end so they might have stored it wrong, that's what I'm guessing because it doesn't taste like that and I have half a case of it left.

I was really upset about that.

Think of it as a challenge! It's a situation where you have more control than you may think.

The Sacramento comps are very well run. The beers are kept cold from the moment their received. I'd put my thoughts into shipping.

You should try an experiment where you ship your beer to a buddy, then the buddy ships it back to you. Nothing extravagant, just across town will do. I'll bet that you'll see a big difference in the beer after it's been shipped. Numerous pro breweries have done studies on their beer once shipped and the results show that overland (ground) shipping is the biggest accelerator for oxidation.

I know that more than a few entrants hand deliver their beer on the last day (even the final hours) that they are due. It can really make a difference.

Like it or not, the sheets reflect what was tasted on that day. If oxidation was an issue, then it doesn't matter how it got accelerated because the air was introduced on your end. Find that cause and you'll see an increase in scores.

Perhaps purge your competition bottles with CO2. Perhaps transfer from the carboy into a sealed, purged corny keg (using the dip tube), then bottle from there. Competition is fierce on the national level and the medal winners do everything they can to present pristine beer.

You should consider taking the judging exam. Knowing the judging process and training will make you a better brewer.

I do know the judging process and have studied it well.
But even oxidized it was better than some other beers lol.

So I'm just glad to know even that didn't put me in last.