• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My New HERMS System - Sparging

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just set up my new HERMS System heres what i have:

HLT with HERMS coil inside.
Mash Tun
Boiler

All with connections, outlets etc.

I have a couple of questions about my system that I need some clarification on.

1. Do I heat my Strike water through the HERMS Coil or do i just take water directly from the HLT?

2. Once Ive reached my Strike temperature I dough in. Do i immediately send the liquid from the mash tun through my herms coil (which is in water at my mash temp) to maintain the mash temp.

3. Do i keep this running the entire mashing time?

4. I fly sparge so at what point do i start to increase the heat in the HLT for this? Obviously if i do this whilst still mashing then the mash will heat up. If i do it after the mash then ill be waiting for the water to heat before sparging.

Could someone please shed some light. I think Ive explained that clearly. :).

Thanks

1.  I use my HLT to heat strike water.

2. & 3.  I recirculate throughout the mash, pumping the wort through an immersion chiller in the HLT.

4.  If you raise the temp of the heat exchanger/HLT after the mash is complete, you can call it a mash-out. Consider abandoning the fly sparge and going to a batch sparge or no-sparge. If you want to continue to fly sparge, get a cooler to hold the sparge water, and replace the cooler valve with a ball valve.

Really depends on your system, but I fill my "MLT" with appropriate ratio of strike water, then I fill my "HLT" to cover top of herms coil. When my "MLT" is at the desired temp I will add my grains. You will lose some heat when grain is added but it will soon raise back up. I will start my mash timer when desired temp is reached, and will recirculate my mash for the entire mash schedule. I will then raise my HLT to 168 to mash out, and I wait till my "MLT" hits 168 before I start my mash out timer. Once mash out is complete I turn off heat source and do a 90 min fly sparge till I reach the desired "BK" volume.

I go this route so I don't have to top off the "HLT" after strike water is added, as it seems to take longer to heat the "HLT" back up to mash temp then it does "MLT".   

Back