• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barrel Age Concerns???

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
So I've had a Golden Strong sitting in a used bourbon barrel for the last 30 days. Tasted it today and was surprised at how much flavor has already been taken on in the beer. I expected this to go at least two or three months before it reached this point. It's pretty smooth. Any concern with flavors if the beer stays in for another two weeks or a month?

The next beer that is going in, isn't going to be ready to be transferred for another week or two at the minimum. I'd rather not leave the barrel empty.

If the beer has reached the flavor you intended, it's time to keg and bottle it. Plan on getting another beer in there, right away.

I've found that I can get wonderfully bright flavor in as little as three weeks from new barrels. I've also left the beer on past that point and it took on more tannin than I wanted. It aged out after about a year. Older, nearly spent barrels can ages smoothly for over a year. Trust your taste with barrel ageing.

Okay so I should rack this out. Was definitely concerned for tannins if it stayed longer.

Think the barrel will be okay if it's empty for the next week? Next beer that is going in is still going in primary.

My plan is to treat the barrel right away with rinse, soda wash and rinse. But it'll be empty for a week after that.

bobo1898 said:
My plan is to treat the barrel right away with rinse, soda wash and rinse. But it'll be empty for a week after that.

Yes, that'll work. I just use P Metabisulfite for storage. But, beware that rinsing will reduce flavor for the next batch going in. If you want cross flavor from the barrel and the beer, you should consider just burning a piece of sulfur stick and closing it up.

One thing that struck me studying English brewing history is that they would condition their beer in wooden barrels... outdoors.... in all weather for up to a year. So the answer to your concerns about off flavors resulting from another two weeks or a month in the barrel is no. It will in all likelihood get even better.

Back