• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

schwartzbier bittering hop

jonnym_ch

Brewer
Reaction score
hi all,
just wondered what you guys use for bittering a schwartzbier.
the recipe i found calls for saaz but that seems to be a large amount of what is primarily an aroma hop for the purposes of bittering. is there another bittering hop that will do the trick and still remain true to the beer style ?
thanks for your help  and cheers !
jon

Hallertau (another noble hop) will do the trick, but if you're looking for pure bittering addition, no flavor or aroma, it really doesn't matter... so any higher alpha hop will get you there without buying as much saaz as it sounds like you'd need.

I don't hate a touch of later addition hop flavor in this style though... if you're going that way i'd suggest sticking with one of the nobles for sure.

Magnum and Millennium are high alpha from Noble cultivars that I use in lagers for foundation bittering. They're mostly neutral, but there is a touch of grassiness from Magnum, which fits. I also like Perle for Schwarzbier. Sterling, Premiant or Palisade are also good options.

brewfun said:
Magnum and Millennium are high alpha from Noble cultivars that I use in lagers for foundation bittering. They're mostly neutral, but there is a touch of grassiness from Magnum, which fits. I also like Perle for Schwarzbier. Sterling, Premiant or Palisade are also good options.

Magnum is great :). I used it in 2 lagers for the bittering. Nice clean but not sharp bitterness.

hi everyone,
and many thanks for the advice. i went with magnum in the end.
unfortunately, when i was measuring out my grain i mistakenly added melanoidin instead of carapils... it's only a small amount but i'm a bit worried that the malt flavour will be overpowering.
i guess i'll find out in a few weeks !
cheers again,
jon

Back