• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whole Cones vs. Pellets and Water Volume

keoki04

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am looking to brew an American Barelywine this spring.  While I am working on the recipe, I decided I would try to use my whole cone hops for most if not all of my hop additions.  When I look at the same recipe using whole cones vs. pellets, the water volume is the same.  I know that using whole cone hops tend to absorb more wort than pellets, and I was curious to know if Beersmith would try to account for this in some way or form.  It appears not at this point, but I was curious to know if anyone has found a setting that I cannot seem to locate that would make this adjustment automatically.  Worst case scenario I just adjust for a slightly larger batch anticipating the lost of wort due to hop cone absorption.

Brad, if you see this post can you consider seeing if you can make this into a "feature request" for a future build or release?

Thanks in advance!

Back