• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Include carbonation method in calculation of ABV

Seeger

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When I choose a carbonation method which includes some kind of fermentable, like table sugar, it doesn't account for it in the ABV field.

Agreed, that is a small issue, which should be easily fixed. Rule of thumb is to add about 0.5% ABV for the carbonation sugar. Would be nice to have an "all inclusive" ABV in the software though.

Theoretically, the sugar will add 0.4% or more to the ABV (depending upon the volumes of CO2 targeted) if you add that sugar to the recipe.  In reality, most of us who bottle carbonate add the sugar as a solution.  In order to properly calculate the amount of alcohol increase, you would also need to calculate the dilution of the added volume of water.  A volume that the software does not know.  Where I have taken the time to calculate the increase as a result of the sugar addition and water dilution, I come up with less than 0.2% actual affect on the ABV.  This holds only for my process and procedure, but I am probably sure that it would be pretty close for others who pre-dissolve the sugar before adding it to the bottling bucket.  It is also below the error in my measurement of volume in my bottling bucket. 

In the end, I am making home brew.  I don't need to make sure that the actual alcohol content precisely matches my labels for tax and government regulations, so I don't really sweat it too much.

Back