• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Hops IBU

Bbtech

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to BeerSmith and seem to have problem when I add hops to a recipe. I do not get an IBU estimate. All of mine show up as 0 IBU's. Is there someplace I have to update or add to the ingredients list to get IBU's to show up.

Did you try adding an absurd amount of hops to the recipe to see if it's simply that the amounts are very low? You can see the hop IBUs framed within the style on the comparison bars.

There are several places to adjust how IBUs get calculated.

In Options > Bitterness, make sure that the calculation is the one you want. Tinseth is the most often used.

Within the equipment profile, make sure the "Large Batch Hop Util" is set to 100.

Each hop use can be set for boil, Steep/WP. If you saved some as Dry Hop, then they will always contribute zero IBUs. At the same time, make sure the hops have some boil time assigned to them.

brewfun seems to have covered the issue, but if you are still having problems you should post a recipe so we can see what is going on. In BeerSmith, select a recipe on the My Recipes tab , then 1) right-click and choose Export Selected or 2) click on the Export Selected icon on the ribbon or 3) choose File->Export Selected. Once exported, you can add it as an attachment to a post here on the forum.

--GF

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. The problem was a default equipment profile. I added my own and all is now well.

Back