• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using Two Yeast Strands...?

Josh_Saratin

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All!
I'll make this very quick! I am using imperial citrus yeast in a 15 gallon batch. I have the wort at 70 exactly using a temp controlled fridge. I have 3 cans of citrus, but two of them were past 3 months of the expiration date and the stores policy is to not sell those but they did. I saw this took pictures and went to the store and got a fresh citrus but they didn't have another... so the we decided on the Barbarian strain. 2 Citrus + 1 Barbarian.

Yeast profiles as stated below:

Citrus Liquid 200 Billion Cells
Temp: 67 - 80
Att: 74 -78

Barbarian Liquid 200 Billion Cells
Temp: 62 - 70
Att: 73 - 74

My question: What temperature schedule would you suggest fermenting this at, and or do you have any knowledge about doing stuff like this??

Thanks so much,
-Joshua

Josh_Saratin said:
Hello All!
I'll make this very quick! I am using imperial citrus yeast in a 15 gallon batch. I have the wort at 70 exactly using a temp controlled fridge. I have 3 cans of citrus, but two of them were past 3 months of the expiration date and the stores policy is to not sell those but they did. I saw this took pictures and went to the store and got a fresh citrus but they didn't have another... so the we decided on the Barbarian strain. 2 Citrus + 1 Barbarian.

Yeast profiles as stated below:

Citrus Liquid 200 Billion Cells
Temp: 67 - 80
Att: 74 -78

Barbarian Liquid 200 Billion Cells
Temp: 62 - 70
Att: 73 - 74

My question: What temperature schedule would you suggest fermenting this at, and or do you have any knowledge about doing stuff like this??

Thanks so much,
-Joshua

I have used citrus and have friends at imperial yeast, I was told the warmer citrus gets the more citrus flavors you get. Being that barbarian will not ferment that warmly without esters getting a bit off. I would suggest using citrus at the cooler temps. It won't effect if just might be a bit less flavorful.

You could split it into 2 batches. 1 Ten gallon batch with the citrus and 1 five gallon batch with the barbarian. Ferment each one at the temp you want and then blend them together when complete.

What I ended up doing was adding all three packages in as normal and fermented at a average temperature between the two yeast strain temp ranges. Primary at 69, then slowly moved to 72 for secondary. Results were amazing with my citra pale ale recipe I created. Just an update

Back