• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strike temp with Grainfather

sciyan

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi
I've brewed about 10 batches with the grainfather (candian/us version, inside with the insulated jacket) and I've difficulties with my strike temperature.

First of all, since I'm heating the strike water into the mash tun, I've always unchecked the "Adjust temp for equip" so the soft will only take the grain into acount. However, after 10 min, the strike temp is always over the targeted temp.

After reading the Grainfather instruction again, I saw that they recommend to set the mash temp and add the grain. There is no instruction that tell you to increase the water temp for the grain temp absorption. In fact, it make sense since it's a recirculating system and the heat loss from the grain is minimal in this kind of system (for 20L of course).

However, there is no check box regarding the heat absorbtion from the grain that could be uncheck. I only found the malt specific heat option in the advanced tab. I'm thinking about just ignoring the strike temp from the software and keep the grainfather instruction instead.

Is there anyone else who have the same "issue" with the grainfather ?

Do you measure the temp of the grains before you mash in? I haven't use the Grainfather but its Beersmith settings must be closet to BIAB. Here is a tutorial you may be able to glean some information from....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKiEjhxo2oo

I have a grainfather.  I just set my strike temp and mash in.  I don't look at the suggested temp from BS2.

My method of mashing in involves putting grain in in stages. Nothing formal, just put some in and stir.  Repeat about 4 times until all is mashed in.  I don't find that the temperature changes much at all during this and once I put the top plate on and recirculate, the temp gets to exactly where I want it to be straight away.

That's exactly what I'm doing and I notice exactly the same thing. The temperature doeast change much.
Perhaps it's because the temp probe is at the bottom instead of in the middle of the grain ! That could explain why we don't even notice the temperature change, but after a few minutes of recirculating, it's back to normal !

Ive done quite a few brews in my grainfather over the last year or so. The first two brews I set the strike at the BS2 recommended of (I think) 75'C. I had to circulate like blazes to get my temp down to the rewuired mash temp of 66'C! Since then I set up at mash temp and bang it in - I dont worry about the strike temp anymore! ;)

Back