• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hi from NC

pgk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,

Recently joined the forum and thank you for all those who have posted their experiences. So much to learn. I'm testing out the Beersmith software and still learning to use it. Beginner brewer, previously all extract and recently got into all grain. Built my setup - MT, HLT using some old coolers.

The testing and tasting continues!

Cheers
-pgk

pgk said:
Hello All,

Recently joined the forum and thank you for all those who have posted their experiences. So much to learn. I'm testing out the Beersmith software and still learning to use it. Beginner brewer, previously all extract and recently got into all grain. Built my setup - MT, HLT using some old coolers.

Cheers
-pgk

Glad to hear that you built your gear :) got any beers going right now?

Brew 1 - Smash IPA - This went really well, could have stayed in secondary 1 more week in hindsight...ABV ~5.8%

Brew 2 - American BrownAle - Hit OG - 1.052 but fermentation didn't go well..let it sit in primary for 3 wks..FG - 1.030..ABV ~2.9...searched the forum...next time will start yeast and then pitch...also will take a test gravity reading with a thief after 1 week

Brew 3 - This will be the 1st recipe using BeerSmith....going for a basic American Stout...playing around with all the variables in BeerSmith to hit all the BJCP guidelines...will update on how this goes

Welcome pgk. Most of the people who offer help here are experienced and have faced most of the problems you will encounter along your brewing path. You will make mistakes and learn from them too. The goal of most of the participants on this forum is to help you along your path to better use of Beersmith and better brewing.

Again, welcome to brewing and this forum.

pgk said:
Brew 1 - Smash IPA - This went really well, could have stayed in secondary 1 more week in hindsight...ABV ~5.8%

Brew 2 - American BrownAle - Hit OG - 1.052 but fermentation didn't go well..let it sit in primary for 3 wks..FG - 1.030..ABV ~2.9...searched the forum...next time will start yeast and then pitch...also will take a test gravity reading with a thief after 1 week

Brew 3 - This will be the 1st recipe using BeerSmith....going for a basic American Stout...playing around with all the variables in BeerSmith to hit all the BJCP guidelines...will update on how this goes

A lot of brewing is trial and error and a spot of luck lol.

I got lucky on a English Ipa today hit what I was targeting, got perfect color and if all goes well should be a real winner

BOB357 said:
Welcome pgk. Most of the people who offer help here are experienced and have faced most of the problems you will encounter along your brewing path. You will make mistakes and learn from them too. The goal of most of the participants on this forum is to help you along your path to better use of Beersmith and better brewing.

Again, welcome to brewing and this forum.

Thank you.

Ck27 said:
pgk said:

A lot of brewing is trial and error and a spot of luck lol.

I got lucky on a English Ipa today hit what I was targeting, got perfect color and if all goes well should be a real winner

Very nice! All the best! Assuming that it's in the primary..."May the power of fermentation be with you ;) "

A lot of grief new users to beersmith have is around profiles.  You need to configure your profile before you create your recipe and apply that to your recipe.    Many users create recipes, then go back and adjust their profile thinking it will cascade to existing recipes but it does not.  Profiles are stored with the recipe.  So, you need to reapply the new profile to an existing recipe before brew day or modify the one in the recipe. 

Beersmith calculates based on fixed data as configured  in the recipe and profiles associated with it.  You don't know what data to use in the beginning because you do not know how your system and process produces wort yet.  For Beersmith to be most useful, taking good measurements and notes gives you the data to customize the software to your environment and be much better at forecasting your brew parameters.  It isn't trial and error as much as experimentation and documentation.

Of course, if you just want to make drinkable beer and don't really care about the details, Beersmith will help keep track of your recipes and give your some brew steps and you can just make beer  ;D

pgk said:

jomebrew said:
A lot of grief new users to beersmith have is around profiles.  You need to configure your profile before you create your recipe and apply that to your recipe.    Many users create recipes, then go back and adjust their profile thinking it will cascade to existing recipes but it does not.  Profiles are stored with the recipe.  So, you need to reapply the new profile to an existing recipe before brew day or modify the one in the recipe. 

Beersmith calculates based on fixed data as configured  in the recipe and profiles associated with it.  You don't know what data to use in the beginning because you do not know how your system and process produces wort yet.  For Beersmith to be most useful, taking good measurements and notes gives you the data to customize the software to your environment and be much better at forecasting your brew parameters.  It isn't trial and error as much as experimentation and documentation.

Of course, if you just want to make drinkable beer and don't really care about the details, Beersmith will help keep track of your recipes and give your some brew steps and you can just make beer  ;D

Thank you jomebrew for your insights. Just so I'm tracking what I did do was when I created the basic American Stout recipe from the Design tab of BS2, I selected Style -> "American Stout". From there played around with the ingredients to be in the middle of the range per the style guidelines.

In Profiles:
Equipment - configured with assumptions based on my first brew notes. I'll fine tune this as I go along with tweaks for losses accounted from MT, HLT, Kettle and ambient temperature.
Mash - Single infusion, Full body, batch sparge
Carbonation - Keg
Fermentation - Ale 2 stage

I don't have the "Sessions" tab dialed in yet. I'll probably have to get a refractometer for ease of use rather than use a hydrometer.

Cheers!
-pgk

Back