• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strike temp discrepancy

kbonura

Apprentice
Reaction score
used BS on android for a while, recently started on PC. major thing i've noticed is a difference in strike temp adjustment for grain / mash tun temp. long story short after all recipe elements are entered and selecting to adjust profile by equipment temp PC version is quoting me a strike temp of, lets say 178 for a mash / grain temp of ~32. I thought that odd. Uploaded the same recipe to the cloud and ran it on my android app. same variables (obviously) and was now told the strike temp should be in the 190's. made more sense to me.

Any idea why there are such major discrepancies between the PC and android version?
if you need it I can provide all recipe / mash profile data, although i'm not sure how pertinent that is.

thanks in advance!

Kyle

If you really have your profiles set up the same and are getting different answers, then my only guess would be that you have the grain specific heat set differently between the two. In the desktop version you go to Options->Advanced and the malt specific heat is the third item down. The default value is 0.38 cal/gm-C.

--GF

I haven't changed any of those values, and nothing else is different when changing from the saved recipe / profile on the PC to the app. This is fine i suppose as I'll be using the app during brew days and the PC version for recipe planning.

that said, there is something different about the two thats causing the discrepancy - i'll have to poke around some more.

thanks for the suggestion!

kbonura said:
I haven't changed any of those values, and nothing else is different when changing from the saved recipe / profile on the PC to the app. This is fine i suppose as I'll be using the app during brew days and the PC version for recipe planning.

that said, there is something different about the two thats causing the discrepancy - i'll have to poke around some more.

thanks for the suggestion!

Greetings kbonura - have you checked into the equipment Profiles on each device?  While they both may have the same name, the parameters in each may be a bit different.  Your concern is quite perplexing and I believe the equipment profile would be the only thing that could cause such a difference.

I'll check that just to confirm. I assumed that since it was going from the saved cloud recipe / profile that it'd be the same. But I shall check.
what threw me off about it was I brewed in 28f temps not long ago and my mash-in strike water was 195ish per the app - so this was something i wanted to test now that i picked up the PC version.

thanks!

kbonura said:
I'll check that just to confirm. I assumed that since it was going from the saved cloud recipe / profile that it'd be the same. But I shall check.
what threw me off about it was I brewed in 28f temps not long ago and my mash-in strike water was 195ish per the app - so this was something i wanted to test now that i picked up the PC version.

thanks!

I've confirmed that the profiles are exactly the same. what's interesting is that the android app had an in app discrepancy until I clicked "edit" and then "save" (without making changes) - then the timer / mash instructions reflected the figures in the (in editor) infusion profile (not the infusion tool). I tried to recreate this in the PC version, but saving does not refresh the numbers as it appears to update in real time. This is really perplexing.

only other thought i had is that it's not adjusting for mash tun size - i'm using 7# grain in a 10 gal tun. However this should be accounted for by checking the "adjust for equipment temp" button correct? I figure if I preheated the mash tun then it may help account for it, but It should be able to agree with the app as to what the infusion should be.

I've done it before with the app alone, similar grain weight / bill, and mash / grain temp - hit my infusion temp on the nose.

So I can still "work around" but i'm frustrated because i'm not sure why the two versions aren't in agreement.

Greetings kbonura - I understand your frustration.  Unfortunately, I have offered as much help as I can.

As I understand, Brad checks this section of the Forum often.  I?m sure he will be able to offer assistance.

Sorry for your troubles. I hope they get worked out soon!

Back